Flugel or Euphonium

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BigHorn, Dec 13, 2005.

?

Which has the sweetest sound

1. Euphonium

73 vote(s)
    53.7%
  2. Flugel

63 vote(s)
    46.3%
  1. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

The Euphonium and Flugal horn stand out from the other brass band instruments with their distinctive sweet, mellow and haunting sounds.

But which do you prefer and why.

Personally I always prefer a well played flugal solo, but we are very fortunate in our band as our flugal has a truly remarkable sound that is up there with the very best.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    horn
    sound
    flugal
    sounds
    best
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Flugel any day of the week. But then you expected me to say that didn't you ;) .

4. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

:tup ;)

5. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Being a Tuba player I was always going to pick the broader, deeper sound of a euph over a flugel, and as an arranger, I particularly love what can be acheived by using only the lower brass. Eupho for me.

Close poll innit? When I cast my vote it was exactly 50% each way!!

6. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I've only just gone on to Flugal and I do love the Flugal sound however I still prefer the Euphonium. I just think it's a better all round sound and has a better range.

However saying that my favourite passage in any piece of music is the Flugal solo in Paganini Variations

7. HBB

HBB Active Member

Flugel if played right, however I do think that the tenor horn if played right (just enough vib) is possibly the sweetest, the horn solo in Steve Syke's Harry Potter is fantastic!

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Good lord that's a toughie! :(

I think it would have to be the Euph for me by the tinyest margin, purely because of the depth and warmth of the sound.
    (and now that I've voted it's 11-10 to the Flugel)

9. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Flugel. It's what I'd play if I wasn't a Hornest. :)

10. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Definately euph for me, but then I am biased!

But both of them have an awesome sound in the right hands, I suppose it's like asking who has the sweetest sound? David Childs or Iwan Williams? You wouldn't say either because both are equally beautiful.

I just prefer the deeper sound of the euph.

11. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

ive put flugel, mainly because its more versatile yet still beautiful?

Depends who's playing it?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    horn
    sound
    flugal
    sounds
    best
  13. Jen

Jen New Member

Well done Crawf - that's the right answer!:wink:

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think recently I've liked flugel better, but only because it has been so rare for me to hear a really, really good flugel player that it seems like an extra special treat when I do.

So since, in general I prefer euphonium, that's what I voted for.

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Oooh! 14 a piece!!

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It's neck and neck..."touching cloth" as they say. :rolleyes:

17. persins

persins Member

A really tough call as we have a fantastic flugel player in Chantel and a fantastic euph player in Graham at the moment.

I have had to go for the Euph though just because it has that extra depth of sound that is so versatile.
    Oo but then so does the flugel!

18. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well as a member of the Baritone section i have to say its our Bigger Brothers Euphs:clap:

Plus when you have had tutition off a very well known Euphonium player who is now a very well known conductor of a very well known band in Yorkshire i have to say Euphonium:clap: :biggrin:

19. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I had them two in mind, that's why it was difficult to make a decision

20. WoodenFlugel

Come on flugelists (and I know there are plenty of you on here ;) ) we're losing 17-19. Don't lose to euphonium players (show-off and his mate trainee show-off) GET THOSE VOTES IN....:p ;)

21. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

C'mon, mate, we're outnumbered 2-1 in the band but only lagging 19-17 in the poll - a moral victory, at least!

:clap::clap:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  22. WoodenFlugel

True enough but in terms of looks, talent, charisma, ability to play in tune :eek: we're far superior to the Euphy boys and I want to crush them and smite them back to where they belong - in the bass section ;)

*ahem* before Dyl says anything.....topic....:redface: