Flugel mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by cornetgirl, Apr 3, 2003.

1. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I'm currently using a DW 2FL on the Courtois and while it's a nice mouthpiece it ain't fantastic on the high register and I'm finding it quite hard work.

What does anyone else recommend?

Rach x

2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Moderator Staff Member

Soprano Cornet perhaps! :roll:

3. HBB

HBB Active Member

Roger, I don't know how many times you've told me this so

STAY ON TOPIC, IT'S NOT FAIR ON THE AUTHOR!

Just for the record ----- who would want to play flugal??? Stay on Tenor Horn, much nicer, and you don't have to bring ur elbows up! :D

4. Valvecap

Valvecap Member

Hiya!!!!!!!!

Having made the switch from cornet to flugel myself in the past, its a totally different ball game on the chops - feels ok for the first few pieces but then you feel like your high register has been demolished and your playing on your teeth a lot of the time - my advice? if you get a nice tone out of the one your on, stick with it - in time, the register does come back...

5. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Chuck the flugel in the bin and take up bass trom. We are planning world domination in the bass clef corner. :twisted: :twisted:

6. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

come and play for my band.. we'll let you play in the low register.. ;)

Seriously, I've found that most DW mouthpieces are hard work - but the sound is nice. Not a flug player, but I know our one uses a DW

7. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

Keep using it flower.......I've been using a 2F for 15 years and believe me I found the change from soprano to flugel bad enough, but like you (I hope) I persisted and the high register eventually came. Wouldn't use anything else now..... :lol:

8. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Thanks Hornblower - I'm finding it is getting easier with practice so you never know....

But one thing's for sure, I will NOT be playing bass trom or sop!!!!

And who wouldn't want to be a flugeller (or is that flugella?) - we're smart, fun to be around and quite simply the best!!!

Rach x

9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Erm .......... that soooooo does not describe our flugal player .....

try ........

they're scruffy, annoying :p (jk) and well, the worst of the bunch =====

the cornets don't want them and the horns don't want them either! :p So they sit on the corner, on their own

Hard LIfe eh :? :? :?

10. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Flugel players of the world unite!!!! using whatever mouthpiece you prefer, let's flugel HBB into submission!

Doesn't Big Twigge possess a fludgelator? Oh Ben, you really should be scared...

Rach x

11. HBB

HBB Active Member

goes and changes pants! :? :? :? :D:D:D:D

If ya know what I mean

12. Emb_Enh

Emb_Enh Member

I'm currently using a DW 2FL on the Courtois and while it's a nice mouthpiece it ain't fantastic on the high register and I'm finding it quite hard work. What does anyone else recommend?
    =============================================

Yes try the equivalent YAMAHA mpc...

DW2FL = 17mm INNER CUP DIAMETER

YAMAHA 16F4 = 17mm INNER CUP DIAMETER

You should find the INNER RIM BITE more comfortable to allow better lip vibration which will hopefully in turn open up the top end a little.

:)

13. tewkeshorn

tewkeshorn Account Suspended

if it's any help i used to use the 4BFL for years and found it very comfortable in all ranges on flugel, but the only way i can play flugel now is with a t-horn mouthpiece in it!

14. Jo Elson

Jo Elson Member

I use a DW 4Fl, I got it in siver and gold. It's a pretty good all round mouth piece. It is good for higher notes and lower notes. The higher notes are a lot easier on the the gold mouthpiece compared to the silver though. But I would recommend the 4Fl, I can't complain, only my playing!!!

15. horn1

horn1 Member

I always used a DW 4FL. Never had any problems with range.

I love Flugel!! Wish my teeth were up to it now! :( :( :(

16. Emb_Enh

Emb_Enh Member

The higher notes are a lot easier on the the gold mouthpiece compared to the silver though.
    =========================================

In general----
    Gold plating IMHO helps with lip flexibility and is more suited to the player who uses a wet embouchure but is not so suitable for the dry lipped player who requires more grip. Silver plating is generally preferred by dry lipped individuals. Gold plated mpc's also tend to keep a constant temperature better. Solid silver adds to the weight and therefore adheres to the above.

17. flugelman

flugelman Member

Hi Rachel

I play on a 4Fl now. I previously used a 2fl and like struggled on higher regiseter. The 4 is much better for range and stamina.

David

Kippax Band

18. Sparky

Sparky Member

Rach,
    my missus tried several DW's and had the same issues as you. I then bought a mouthpiece manufactured by Gary Radke in the states and found a vast improvement in my high register and stamina. I then suggested that she should try a GR mouthpiece, she visited the GR website, filled in the questionnaire, got a recommendation and bought a mouthpiece. She loves it and feels that her high register has improved without losing the mellow flugel sound. The mouthpiece is a GR5fl. The website address is www.grmouthpieces.com

19. jd

jd Member

Flugel pieces

Hi. Am new to tMP so forgive me if this doesnt work out.
    I am currently working with Warburton mouthpieces USA. We have produced a new flugel piece that i am sure most banders will love. It is the same depth as a Wick 2fl, 4fl but has a lovely comfortable rim. Will be in the shops in the next 3 months as it has just been launched in America.
    The Music Cellar in Preston will stock it so us northereners will not have to travel to London to try it.

JohnDoyle

20. leisa

leisa Active Member

the mouthpiece ive been using is really good on top regster, cant remember what it is but will look when i get home from college, but ive been gettin top Ds with ease but its silver though anyway ill post what it is when i get home.