Flugel Mouthpieces ... or is it me?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ffion Flugel, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

I'm playing a Yamaha flugel, with a Denis Wick 4FL mouthpiece, which is brilliant for the normal flugelly stuff you get in brass bands. The problem is I'm attempting Grade 8 flugel, and the Associated Board obviously think a flugel is a large trumpet. The repertoire is horribly high and terribly technical, and everything comes out just too fluffy (and too low!!!)

The mouthpiece that came with the flugel looks and sounds like a trumpet mouthpiece, but is splendid for high notes and "clarity of tone".

What I need is something between the two, that sounds gorgeous, but doesn't leave you unable to speak/drink/talk properly for the rest of the day.

Does anyone have any suggestions. Clean answers on a postcard ....
  2. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I've been using a Stork Vacchiano 3, but I had to give it back yesterday :(. It's lovely, I can get pedals plus up high much easier than with my old bach mouthpiece which I'm back onto now. The best option is to go and talk to someone and try a few mouthpieces, because each person suits a different mouthpiece.
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I have to argee with Kirsty - the best option is to find somewhere to try as many different mouthpieces as you can, ideally with different manufacturers as well as different types / sizes. A decent music shop should be able to set something up for you. Asking a few other flugel players their advice is also useful (which you are doing by starting this thread :D ) but there's no substitute for trying ones yourself.

FWIW I play on a Warburton 3FLX which gives me good range and a decent sound.
  4. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I play on a Wick 2FL on a Bach Strad, which suits both my playing style and the instrument.

I think the ASB repertoire is pathetic for flugel - partly because there is very little written for the instrument - so some on all you composers - give us some repertoire!

Try a few different mouthpieces and see what suits the pieces on offer!

Rach x
  5. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

I have a range of flugel mpcs...I always use a DW2F with my VB Strad...if you are based in South Wales you are welcome to have a try of them
    VB Megatone 3CFL....Schilke 14F4....Curry 3FL..Curry 5FLM...Jerome Callet 650FL and Amati 1 1/2F (YUK!!) ....for me the DW2F was very hard for the first six months back in 1988 after playing soprano for more years than I would care to mention, but I stuck with it and wouldn't use anything else when playing flugel. I just love collecting mpcs on Ebay !!
  6. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

isn't it the same as the cornet/trumpet repertoire or has it changed now?
  7. flugel4rent

flugel4rent New Member

Have you thought about using a 4BFL Dennis wick? I'm not a great fan of Wick B cup mouthpieces but it should help with the range and give a brighter sound, which will help in the trumpet type stuff. Also it has the same rim diameter as your 4FL so it will be easy to swap back.
  8. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go - it's either that or do Trinity, and my teacher's not playing on that front!
  9. johnflugel

johnflugel Active Member

What does your teacher say? I would be seek his/her advice as a change of mouthpiece might solve one problem but create others for you.

Th first thing I would ask myself if my higher range was not speaking would be, am I practising/training myself up in that range properly.? Changing mpc's for solely one problem is not always the answer.

I was a serial mouthpiece swopper till I realised there is no easy out and proper practice is the key. Not saying that is the case with you ofcourse, but I fell into the trap of trying to find quick fixes and it holds you back.
  10. six pints

six pints Active Member

it was the same when i did it. i played flugel until i was about 13, then had to start playing trumpet/cornet cos of school bands. I only ever play my flugel for fun now :(

good effort for doing grade 8 on flugel. i couldnt have done it.
  11. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

It was my teacher who decided playing a trumpet concerto on a 4F was like playing a french horn through a sock. Having spoken to a couple of brass retailers, they seem to agree with him - it's the music that's not suitable, rather than the mouthpiece, but you just have to compromise, it seems. Apparently Trinity have got their act together and changed the syllabus for flug - no scales above top A and (now get ready for this one) pieces that were actually written for flugel. Scary eh? Shame though, don't you think?
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

13. horn1

horn1 Member

I never did grade 8 on flugel mainly because the repetoire was so pants. I could play it but I didn't particularly feel like being penalised for playing a superior instrument!
  14. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

Couldn't have put it better myself. I've been on to the Assoc. Board, who say they're all the same (trumpet, cornet and flugel that is), and it's just in brass banding that the flugel's not expected to play the full range. Hrrrmph.

It's almost as though they'd prefer you to play an orchestral instrument, no that can't be right can it!!
  15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Trinity grades have always been worth a bit more in my mind anyway, since you actually had to know something about the music you were playing...