Flugel Mouthpiece

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by satchmolips, Feb 28, 2018.

1. satchmolips

satchmolips New Member

Hi,
    I have a Besson flugel I play occasionally alongside trumpet in a Jazz band. I use a V Bach 7c mouthpiece on the trumpet and got the V Bach 7c equivalent for flugel. But it gives it quite a harsh sound. Any recommendations for a mouthpiece to give it a warmer, richer sound that wont be too far away for my embrochure? Dennis Wick, V Back or other

2. KenIrvin

KenIrvin Member

Hi
    I had a 7c equivalent which I agree is very harsh. It is quite a big difference but I found DW4BFL produces much better tone.

3. satchmolips

satchmolips New Member

Thanks, had looked at that one, Will give it a try

4. sop@55

sop@55 Member

I totally agree with KenIrvin. My mentor on this subject was Roger Webster. I played the DW RW3 on my Prestige, because that's what it came with. So when I went onto Flugel (1st Section) I would switch between the DW RW3FL and it. However, when I moved onto Principal cornet 2nd section I had to switch to the DW 4RW ( I know - practice more) and opted for the DW RW4FL for those odd occasions on Flug. Now mainly Flug but the system works for me. Interestingly, I dabbled on Trumpet and found, with help, that the Warburton 5 cups (I have all 4 including my favourite the double D) mix great with the DW 4 range and Alliance 3 range. By the By, the DW 2/3/and 4 are identical to the FL range; the difference is the thickness of the wall. (try a fag paper wrapped around the cornet one for an experiment!) ps, for Brass Band I prefer the Courtois 155R.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice