Flugel Help Please!!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Caz Clay, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Caz Clay

Caz Clay New Member

hey people!! please help with my flugel dilemna!!! i'm currently playing a bach strad flugel belonging to my local band, and so with moving to uni i'm looking to make the jump and buy my own!!!

but what to buy?? i'm wondering what models people would recommend to get the best sound and playing out of it!!! i currently get a good sound out of the bach (or at least so i've been told!!) so should i stick with what i know??? its just that the tuning is out on my 1st valve which would need major changes to be rectified as slide needs removing and others i've tried have the same problem!!!

so generally guys any help would be mucho appreciated, anything at all???
    and for all flugel players out there, what mouthpieces you using?? i have a denis wick 2FL and tone's great but range is difficult, top C at the most before sound qualities completely gone!!!

so throw any wisom you can offer please!!!!
  2. Dirty Sanchez

Dirty Sanchez New Member

You definitely need to be changing to a Denis Wick 4FL if you're as good as you sound, you'll get an even better tone and obviously range out of it!
    Also once you've got proper control of a Strad you shouldn't really go back, Maestro's are easier to play but won't ever sound as good, same with the top of the range Courtois. There is a bit of an issue with the 1st valve tuning on the Srad but it's got better on the latest 1's, but you should be trying a couple out anyway as instruments even of the same model can sound totally different (get the silver Strad)!
  3. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

5. davidwalton

davidwalton Member

Agreed!!!!! No tuning issues, other than those created by the player. Sound is great throughout the whole range, and instrument can be bespoke to fit. ie. Bell metal, placement of trigger, finish, etc.

I did try out all the leading brand flugels, but for me, they were too much of a compromise.

Personally use a Courtois 1.5F mouthpiece. Top end is a little harder, but can be achieved with practise. Use same mouthpiece when having to play cornet, as it JUST fits.
  6. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

The Denis Wick F range fit the Bach Strad flugel not FL. I use the 2F in my Strad and have done for many years. The FL range is suitable for Yamaha...
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Is the Bach Strad. only available in one bore-size? (odd, because it was mentioned that a 2FL mouthpiece was used). Maybe the jump to a large bore flugel might be a bit much if Caz has got used to the instrument?
  8. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

uhm, I have a 2FL on my Bach Strad...
    All other Flugel players in my band (there are 14 now ;) - we are a "fanfare band" remember :) ) play either on a "2FL"or a "2BFL" mouthpiece if I'm correct
  9. Caz Clay

Caz Clay New Member

i've only being playing flugel a year (played tenor horn for eight years before) so a change may not take too much getting used to!!! i just want the instrument that best fits in with the brass band to get me the nicest sound and best range!!! i feel may be a bit too much to ask..maybe???

and tis definately a 2Fl i'm using, fits and plays well, just range is a bit pathetic really with it!!!!
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- maybe the best thing to do is see which music shops are in your area and get one that you can try out on approval. After a few days you will know if the flugel is what you want! See a good teacher and get some advice on whether a different mouthpiece is what's needed to meet your objectives.
  11. welsh_cornetto

welsh_cornetto New Member

I use a dennis wick 3BFL mouthpiece in my strad flugel. I find it much easier to play ong than the 4F or 4FL.

There's nothing wrong woth strad flugels. Well actually they are a really good instrument to play on. Iv'e only just recently in college taken up playing it and iv'e just bought a 2nd hand strad flugel.
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I think most instrument choice is down to a matter of personal preference, but for some reason choosing which flugel is more personal opinion than almost every other brass instrument.

As Brassneck has already said I recently bought a Kanstul signature flugel, and I'm very happy with it, however the choice is massive so I would suggest you find a budget and try every flugel upto that price.

Not knowing what you have to spend, a new Strad will cost you about £1200, and a Courtois 155R is a little more. You might also get a Kanstul custom class for that sort of money. For me out of those I would go the the Courtois or the Kanstul. If you want to pay a bit more and you get into really competitive territory with the Conn Vintage 1 and Kanstul ZKF1525 signature as the accepted forerunners. My personal preference was for the Kanstul. I love the dark, warm sound it gives me and the tuning is generally good. The Conn is also a fantastic instrument, and I would recommend at least a trial on it, but I went for the Kanstul as the Conn is heavy (2kg) and didn't really give me the sound I wanted. Another option to add to the melting pot is Hub Van Laar, whose flugels have a fine reputation. TBH I didn't consider HVL due to the lack of dealers in the UK, but I hear some very good reports about them. tMP member Benem might be able to help, as I believe he has one.

Now, if you have some more money to spend I would recommend you have a look at either Eclipse or Taylor's flugels. These are over the two grand mark, which put them out of my league, but by all accounts they are the best flugels on the market.

I love my Kanstul - it looks gorgeous, is really well built and sounds great. But your choice is just that - the flugel that suits you.

You might want to visit brass review.com to get a better idea of your options, and there are loads!

As for mouthpieces, I won't make a recommendation as I feel you need to try things yourself before deciding what is best for you. What I will say is that there are plenty of other manufacturers of mouthpieces than Denis Wick. I play on a Warburton 3FLX, and also have a Stork 3FL lurking in my case. Denis Wick make great mouthpieces, but they are not the only people who do. As with the instrument, have a look around at you mouthpiece choice, and try as many as you can, before making a decision. A strad flugel played though a DW 4FL might not be the best solution for you.
  13. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Its personal preference really as to which instrument is 'suitable'. Some are smaller and some are larger, different weights etc. You could go to a shop and try some out. If you do like the bach strad then stick to what you know. I was looking to buy one a couple of years ago and I went for the strad and i really like it. I play on a 4F mouthpiece (cant remember what brand!) hope this helps.
  14. Flugelmahorn

Flugelmahorn Member

Pop along to your nearest brass "emporium" and try a few out. I tried out a courtois, Strad, Kanstul and Conn before settling on a Yamaha Maestro YFH631G. For me personally I found it the easiest to play through the range and it gives a great sound with a Wick 2FL. It's also not the most expensive either. It might not be the choice for everyone, but I think it works well enough for me.
  15. Mrs Fruity

Mrs Fruity Member

When I was a flugel player many years ago, I was asked to try a Burbank Trumpet. It was the best flugel I ever had, and then I lost my marbles and became a horn player :redface:
    And btw I used a 2FL - no tuning probs or range probs, but I was a student then and practised at least 2 hours a day. Best of luck finding the perfect blend.
  16. AndyFlugel

AndyFlugel New Member

Having read through some of these Flugel threads, I have to say that it's a shame that opinions on the Jupiter Flugel are either low or non-exsistant

I play a Jupiter 846RL Flugel, and I really cannot fault it - superb instrument - I wrote a review for it on Brass review: http://www.brassreview.com/reviews/showproduct.php/product/175/sort/8/cat/87/page/1

And I wasn't the only person who sung it's praises

For the price I paid for it (and was on a tight budget), I couldn't have asked for a better Flugel and it plays like somthing that should cost a great deal more
  17. Griffis

Griffis Member

Hi, I havnt been bothered to read all the previous posts (sorry) but I am now a Flugel Player myself after a very hearty stint as bumper up for two top section bands (Beaumaris + YBS), so I'm very new to all this Flugel stuff myself, but my band have a Courtois instrument which is very nice, and I happened to have my very own Wick 4Fl (which i bought 3 days before my final recital at university...) and I've just stuck with it since...I do find the change quite big, but as always...the more you practice, the better you get!!!

Dewi Griffiths
  18. Glehany

Glehany Member

If it aint broke.....
    If you like the Bach flugel and you like your sound on it why get anything different? And as for mpc's - why do you need higher than top C on a flugel? Sound is the key, if your range is up to top C and you like your sound on a 2fl then why change?

19. GJacko

GJacko Member

Agreed also. I checked out one of their first Flug's after I bought my Eclipse trumpet. If your budget will stretch, go for it.

As for mouthpieces, change it according to what you're playing. It's probably not that often you need to go up to top C's, so I'd concentrate on tone. Range will come anyway.
  20. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Maybe the part goes above top C ? e.g. Judges ??

Also, shock horror, flugels are also used in big bands and other Jazz bands, where top C is an octave higher that the brass band ceiling! :)