Flugal Solo's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Oct 31, 2009.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Hi all
    my MD has requested that i change my flugal solo for next year.
    can't work out what to play though !
    i'm after something that will help develop my tone if possible.
    all suggestions gratefully received !
    many thanks :biggrin:
  2. Columbo

Columbo Member

If its Tonal you are looking for, I used to play Poeme. Reflections (Reginald Heath) is always a simple and lyrical solo which always goes down well. Black Velvet is a favourite of mine but band tend to find it a bit boring. I also played That old devil called love which is a bit jazzy also. In Heaven is a good one with some Vibraphone work in there for Perc. Hope this helps. If I think of any more I'll post later. If you want details of any and arrangers etc. I'll investigate further for you.

In Heaven is my favourite of all of them.
  3. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Just getting my head around the fact that you just do one solo? I must have misunderstood I think! Our band rotate the soloists for concerts and I don`t think any solos get repeated (unless its the same program the next night of course)
    Obviously you will have done "orange juice" and probably Share my yoke. I like the Caccini "Ave Maria" and last christmas did "Away in a Manger" by Peter graham (I think?). I believe MD has ordered "David of the White Rock" and a lovely tmp member is arranging a Flugel solo based on a version of "Dido`s Lament".
    Do you like the Jazz like ones or the Classical solos? Have a listen to "Mellow Sounds" CD or some of the others recorded by great Flugel players and decide which you may enjoy. Use Spotify to find something.
  4. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

Just getting my head round the fact that you can't spell the name of the instrument you play, never mind!

For a slow melody, you could consider Solveig's Song (Edvard Grieg arr. Ray Steadman-Allen).
    For a lighter, jazzier feel, So Glad! (William Himes) has been popular over the years.

The CD mentioned above is likely to be Mellow Moments played by Iwan Williams with YBS Band.
  5. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

I can't get past Alan Fernie's arrangement of Big Spender!! Love it and is proper punter music (of course the jacket and tie removal and throwing into crowd is optional, but useful in a hot venue if its near the end of the programme)..... particularly good at more formal jobs as you watch the punters get all conflicted!!
  6. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

flugel is a correct spelling because it comes from the German spelling fl├╝gelhorn......

What about Every Thing I do I do It For you?
  7. Mesmerist

Whoops sorry - yes thats what I meant! :redface:
  8. Mellow moments. What a beautiful piece. Iwan Williams is by far the best flugel player i ever had the pleasure of hearing. So expressive.
  9. Baton twirler

Baton twirler Member

I did a version of the Caccini Ave Maria for Euphonium and band that has been recorded by Phillipe Schartz the principal trumpet player at the Welsh National orchestra (I think that is correct) and he played it on Flugelhorn with The Cory band accompanying, sounds really good. It is on an album available from World of Brass and the arrangement is available from David Hirst's Prima Arts (hope I am not breaking any rules mentioning the publisher etc).
  10. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

"What is Life?" (Gluck), the operatic song popularized by Kathleen Ferrier, is arranged for Flugel and Band and published by SP&S (World of Brass).
  11. blue juice

blue juice Member

Doyle's Lament
  12. Getzonica

Getzonica Active Member

Children of Sanchez - heard some amazing recordings of this solo.
  13. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Mark of a Champion - written for Mark Walters (?) when he became British Open Solo Champion....I think.

Lady in Red - people LOVE that.

For Christmas - Peter Graham's 'Away in a Manger' is stunning. Fairly simple, but stunning.
  14. jcowensEb

jcowensEb Member

what about children of sanchez??? love that solo
  15. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

.......... and the fact that you put an apostrophe in Solos :)
  16. Tam O Shanter

Tam O Shanter Member

Ray Bowes arrangement of David of the White Rock is very good.
  17. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

wow !
    lots of good suggestions there.
    thanks all.
    just a quick update...
    i have been playing flugel for approx. 6 months so i have only played one solo (One Day) and that was from my solo cornet days.
    i'd like to give "orange juice" a go, but i don't have the legs for it (too hairy compared to tara fitzgeralds!)
  18. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Howard Davies has written an excellent version of "It is well with my soul" for flugel and band.
  19. Mesmerist

There is always waxing...:biggrin:

Good luck on your new instrument - its fabulous - best instrument in the band!
    Am just listening to Iwan`s CD now - he is the DADDY of flugelists.