Flowers Bloom In Yeovil Hat Trick.

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by weenie, Feb 11, 2009.

1. weenie

weenie Member

The Flowers Band proved the critics wrong last Saturday (7th Feb), by claiming their sixth victory at the Yeovil Entertainments Contest in South Somerset. Indeed it was also a hat-trick of wins for the band and their fifth victory in seven years.

The band were also delighted to welcome back Philip Harper, who brought with him his unique brand of entertainment, which seemed to please adjudicator David Read.

Drawn to play number two, the band opened up their programme with a neatly choreographed 'Curtain Up', which lead directly into Philip Harper's 'Lionheart'. Next up, a horn feature, in the shape of Howard Snell's beautiful arrangement of 'Greensleeves', which showed off the band's wonderfully rounded tone. Something a little different followed this with Flugel soloist Danny Winder taking centre stage to perform a new Philip Harper arrangement of the classic 1964 Drifters hit 'Under The Boardwalk', complete with body percussion from some members of the band!

Flowers' finale item was a brass band classic.
    Derek Bourgeois' arrangement of Paul Dukas' 'The Sorcerer's Apprentice' was originally arranged for Bristol's Sun Life Band in the 1980's. Here in 2009, The Flowers Band gave a stirring rendition of this masterpiece to round off what adjudicator David Read described as a "scintillating and highly enjoyable programme".

It was enough evidence for Mr. Read to award Flowers first prize and a hat-trick of wins at Yeovil.

Philip Harper spoke after the results and commented, "To get a hat trick of wins here is a wonderful achievement, given the fact that we played very early in the day and with the caliber of bands on display. I've always tried to play for the audience at Yeovil, as in years past it has been closed adjudication at this contest. Although this years competition was open adjudication for the first time, it didn't really make any difference to my plans as far as the programme's content was concerned. I'm just glad that Mr. Read enjoyed the programme and the playing. Everything came off as it should have done and I'm extremely pleased with the end result. It has been great working with the band again and I hope it's not too long before we work together once more."

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    David Read
    Philip Harper
    Flowers
    Hat Trick
    Curtain Up