Florrie Forde's Favourites

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tgfoxley, Mar 12, 2011.

1. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Hi all

Getting some pieces organised for a festival of remembrance in November. The organising committee would quite like us to play a piece called "Florrie Forde's Favourites", but we cannot find the piece anywhere, it seems.

Does anyone know where we might be able to find a copy to buy or borrow, even from the library of a willing band?

Thanks in advance

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Florrie Forde
    festival of remembrance
    Favourites
    willing band
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Lots of bands will have this mouldering away at the back of the library cupboard ~ I know I played it with Kippax at an ex servicemans do about 20 years ago.

- Mr Wilx

4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I'm sure we have this in our library. I'll double check later and if so, you are more than welcome to borrow the set.

:tup

5. TUBAWAY ARMY

TUBAWAY ARMY Member

I believe I have a set you can have, just for postage costs. PM your number and i'll post it next week. Why you'd want it though is beyond me, it's garbage.

6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

:eek:
    How can you rubbish such a piece of banding history!!!!!!

One of my personal favourites ;)

7. Al

Al Member

Florrie Forde's Favourites is the Godmother of Yellow Music

8. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

It certainly is not memorable stuff !
    I'd have thought it would remembered by folk who were around for WW1, but there are precious few of those stalwart Souls to appreciate it these days.

Very mouldy cheese !!!

- Mr Wilx

9. tgfoxley

tgfoxley Member

Thanks very much, and to all the rest who replied :clap:

10. carbon selector

carbon selector New Member

There's been a bit of interest judging from the replies. I wonder could you have someone take a recording, a decent mobile phone will do a pretty good job these days.

Florrie has fair representation on youtube. Nothing from a brass band yet though.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  11. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Never heard of this piece!! Must be a Yellow Page Classic!!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Florrie Forde
    festival of remembrance
    Favourites
    willing band
  13. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Yellow" ~ deffo.
    "Classic" ~ not !!

I believe they found a mint set of the parts in King Tuts tomb !!

(For you young ones, that's Tutankhamens Tomb ~ an ancient Egyptian burial chamber ~ thought I'd better explain.)

- Mr Wilx

14. 007ish

007ish Member

I know there is a set stuffed up the chimney of one of my past bands rehearsal room, hated with a passion by the Band after being played to death by conductor of the time.:oops:

15. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I was being faecious there!:D

16. TUBAWAY ARMY

TUBAWAY ARMY Member

Ha ha Duncan, do it detect a little taking of the urine here ?

Mr Wilx, the copywrite date is only 1940....only 70 years old........hmmmm about the average age of a brass band audience.

17. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

1940 ~ I am truly amazed ~ not that much older than me for Gawds sake !!!

- Mr Wilx

18. nadband

nadband Member

I know Rode Hall have it Tim as i used to have to conduct it for events just like yours.

And very well played on sunday, I had Trentham down as possible qualifiers and thought they had a great sound.

19. Paul Sanders

Paul Sanders New Member

We used to play this 35 years ago - conductor's favourite. Along with Wilfred Sanderson's Popular Songs (who were they popular with, I hear you ask?)

20. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Y'know I wasn't actually having a laugh!

A lot of people have said 'we played it when I was a lad', but I've conducted it as recently as 2003 with Somersham Town Band. We often put it in park jobs and had the audience joining in with 'It's a Long Way to Tipperary'. I maintain it's still a good selection and it much better arranged that anything with Frank Bernaerts name at the top!

21. Mr_Chairman

Mr_Chairman Member

We used this in concert a couple of years ago - admittedly it was for the 100th anniverary of the Womens Institute.

There are various shades of yellow though - I remember in the mid sixties, when I started playing, we would regularly perform 'Valse Estudiantina' which was the brown side of yellow in those days. We knew it as 'parchment'.