Floral Dance - Children In Need 2008?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by you-ff, Jun 26, 2007.

1. you-ff

you-ff New Member

Hello everybody!

While driving into work this morning Terry Wogan was talking about "criminal records" which, of course, led to witty comments about his version of The Floral Dance. For some reason known only to the neurons in my grey matter this spawned an idea...

A quick search on Google tells me that Terry's voice-over version of The Floral Dance was released in 1978 (the same page tells me that the Brighouse And Rasterick version with no voice over was released in 1977).

So how about, thirty years later, we try to assemble the worlds largest massed band, with the same "lead singer", and re-record this, ahem, classic with a view to fund-raising for the 2008 Children In Need appeal?

Just a pipe dream?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Floral Dance - Children In Need 2008
    Terry Wogan
    The Floral Dance
    Rasterick
    Google
  3. Nikki T

Nikki T Member

Sounds a cunning plan.....count me in. Just needs someone to organise it ! Come on ye volunteers....

4. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

That's a great idea!

Anyone out there with exceptional organisational skills and a whole load of time on their hands?
    :rolleyes:

5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Sounds like you just volunteered yourself ;)

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It might be a great idea, but one I would suggest with little prospect of success. When you see the problems Brass Band Aid had in drumming up support for their effort at Butlins, even with what amounted to a captive audience, and the poor support for a recent attempt at a massed trombone record, it seems extremely difficult to motivate people. Also, the actual numbers needed for a meaningful record are phenomenal, with the American competitive events regularly gathering huge bands together, giving them quite an advantage.

7. midnight_euph

midnight_euph Member

Could be fun though. How about on a moor somewhere (so we don't have to comply with the new laws on indoor events etc.) Get the local news TV and Radio involved. I'd be up for it on the proviso it doesn't clash with contests or owt 'serious'... but if all bands are invited then no one would be out on a fete or owt..
    Just a thought.

Fran
    <sings> dom dom de dom dom dom, diddy dom dom diddydiddy dom dom dom </sings>

8. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Memories of freezing fog in Birmingham........

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... hehe, what a day though, cracking stuff, and fond memories.

10. Di

Di Active Member

... and of the pleurisy that came shortly after! :-?

Says he who was sat inside a cozy studio with Sally James while we stood playing in the frost in Centenary Square .... "just one more til John gets back, just one more, just one more .... just another 5 minutes, just one more".

It was a good day though, but how many times DID we play the Floral Dance and how many seconds coverage did we get? ;)

11. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

Not to mention the horrendous journey home avoiding floods road closures etc

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Floral Dance - Children In Need 2008
    Terry Wogan
    The Floral Dance
    Rasterick
    Google
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

But Jessop-Smythe did get the bar re-opened in the hotel. Another whiskey to ward off the chill my good man...:D
    BMB
    xx