Flight - Sebastien Rousseau; Brass Band Buizingen & Longbow

Discussion in 'theMouthPiece.com User Reviews' started by John Brooks, Dec 22, 2014.

1. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I just received my copy of this CD, having procrastinated on acquiring it for a few weeks. The first nine tracks are with Buizingen with the last track, Nigel Clarke's "The Scarlet Flower" being made with the Longbow String Orchestra. The production is excellent, although my older eyes found the white on black text a bit of a challenge and also, tracks 5 & 6 are reversed on the CD. That said, in my opinion this is a great addition to my CD collection. There's a lot that is new and an all too rare account of Leslie Condon's "Swiss Rhapsody", originally written for a tour of Switzerland by the ISB for their flugel horn soloist at the time, Brian Bowen. I am not aware of any other recording of this piece, although I do have a private recording of Robert Foster performing it live with Hamilton Temple Band at a concert in Niagara on the Lake (a trip that I helped arrange, so a good memory has been revived). "Children of Sanchez" has become very popular in its brass band iteration and I would expect the same will occur with "Land of Make Believe" arranged by Luc Vertommen. Philip Wilby's "Flight" is also given what I believe to be only a second recording. I would be more than interested in reading other opinions of this recording and if, like me, you have procrastinated on obtaining it, procrastinate no longer, it's well worth getting.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Sebastien Rousseau
    Buizingen
    The Scarlet Flower
    Brass Band Buizingen
    ISB
  3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

My review of 'Flight' should be up on 4barsrest before long. I was actually able to attend the recording session for 'Scarlet Flower' and it was a fascinating experience. I greatly enjoyed this recording, not least for the excellent accompaniments.

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I think you're right about it only being recorded twice by a flugel hornist - but Steven Mead also recorded it as a euph solo, for better or worse. And yes, it's a great CD.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I read your review Peter and thought it provided an excellent and accurate commentary on this recording. I agree with you that not enough people will have had the opportunity to listen yet and that will impact it's chances on 4barsrest. No mean accomplishment to make that list though!

7. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Is it going to be available except from Sébastien Rousseau? On the Brass Band Buizingen website they sell via Mr. Rousseau at €15 which shipped to the US and the weak US Dollar would end up costing me $25 or more. That is the cost I bear for having a radio station, but even if I contacted Mr. Rousseau I have no idea if he speaks Dutch, French (which I can speak some after taking French in college 40 years ago) or if he speaks English. And I pay for most things via PayPal rather than a cheque (which I would have to get from the bank to be in Euros). I read the review on 4br but it seems none of the commercial places are selling it.

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

You can get it from World of Brass: www.worldofbrass.com I guess they will send abroad for a price. They take Paypal.

9. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Thanks -- yes WOB will sell me CDs and add US P&P.