Flies and Daddy Long Legs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Will the Sec, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

My flat is newly decorated.

Morbid fear of flies and DLLs persists, but old method of just splatting them anywhere, anyhow is now out of the question. Not a big fan of aerosols either.*

*Space left for LBB to insert witty comment here.

What's the best way of getting rid of flies and DLLs without risking damaging the new paint work?

Will the Afraid. Very Afraid.
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Get a pet chameleon or other such long tongued reptile :)
  3. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Venus Fly Traps work... :rolleyes:
    Or you could get one of those bright blue light zappy fly things...! :D (Which I don't know the name of!!!) Got one at work, and zaps any flies that go near it :clap:
  4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

get one of those little vacuum-like things for catching them... great fun! Also, allows for the possibility of one day setting up the ultimate "Bee vs Wasp" fight in a glass...
  5. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Pointless the wasps always win cause the bees kill themselves stinging the wasps!

We have a couple of dogs that are pretty good at catching flies (though the furniture suffers a bit!).

The other option is to get a larg book that you no longer want and catch the little buggers mid flight by opening it up and snapping it shut on them. I have quite a collection of "Fly pressings" at home :D
  6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Wait until they land on/walk across your nose - then splat them..... :)
  7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

My mum used to occasionally give us fried dll and chips in the summer. Delicious.

I think the best thing is leave the lights off and the windows and curtains open. You might get burgled frequently, but it will give you someone to talk to on those long lonely nights ;)
  8. ray_ed

ray_ed Member

yeh, gota be one of those blue electric gizmos....the beauty is you can hear the little devils gettin fried....crackle crackle :clap:
  9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

....... or if you dont wanna hear the crackle of them dying slowly and painfully (guess that depends on how much you hate em I guess - ....poor lil things) you can get stickers for ya window with a flower on them (there's something on them which attracts flys to them) and they go it and die.... (putting it bluntly......)

:lol:..... yea..... :biggrin:
  10. Pookiyama

Pookiyama Member

IRS To The Rescue!

Sorry, but this is just cruel.

The average lifespan of a house fly is 24 hours. Craneflies (daddy-long-legs) live about a day longer. What's the point of brutally murdering these guys when they won't live very long anyway?

The most humane way of getting rid of any type of flying invertebrate is to leave a window slightly open (not fully), and leave a light outside. During the night, the insects in the house will fly out of the window, being as they are attratced to the light. It might also help to leave a piece of sliced fruit in the garden as well, because that's what they tend to feed on.
  11. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Bet you didn't think it would be that polite ;)
  12. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm shocked, LBB, I'm shocked...
  13. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Did you know that you can put Daddy Long Legses into suspended animation? Catch one and put it in the freezer. It will seem to collapse and die. Take it out again 10 minutes later and watch it revive and fly off straight into the cat's mouth.

In my defence I was quite young when I made this observation...:oops:
  14. mikelyons

I once tore the house apart trying to catch a butterfly. When I finally got it and put it out the window it was promptly caught and eaten by a robin.

Sometimes you just can't do right for doing wrong! :dunno
  15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Train yourself in firing rubber bands...if you do it right and accurately enough the pesky little blighters just disintegrate on impact and it doesn't leave enough to make a mess. :biggrin:

Trust me, it works! :tup
  16. mikelyons

What about collateral damage while you are practicing?
  17. Pookiyama

Pookiyama Member

This is just like saying "ooh, let's see what we can do to these political prisoners, it's their fault they're in Guantanamo Bay to begin with".

For shame, all of you.
  18. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, the above gets the vote from me for most random post of the year.
  19. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Indeed! :confused:
  20. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

I think that Pooki is trying to say that we shouldn't be persecuting these poor harmless, only live for a short time, insects!!

I say.... squish em!! :tongue: