Fleetwood Contest October 7th

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by classicbrass, Sep 19, 2012.

1. classicbrass

classicbrass Member

Only two weeks off this Sunday - so who's going ?

Lees Band will be there in the Fourth section.
  2. Eccles Borough will be there in the Third
  3. dlls2275

dlls2275 New Member

Coppull & Standish are there in the 4th section
  4. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

See you guys there, then.
  5. JPC

JPC New Member

Skelmersdale prize band will be there in the third
  6. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I am very much looking forward to conducting Lostock Hall in the third section. :)
  7. Thornton Cleveleys Band will be there in the 4th section. God i hate early mornings!!!!
  8. shellie

shellie Member

Parr Band will be there in the 4th section! :)
  9. Bonjour_Laura

Bonjour_Laura Member

Good Luck to Skelmersdale Prize and Parr :)
  10. shellie

shellie Member

Thank you bonjour_laura! :)
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  11. flug_gal

flug_gal Member

12. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

Top section seems to not have the local bands it used to have. No Freckleton , Longridge or Poulton in the running just wondering if the lack of good changing facilities are making theses bands not bother.
  13. kennywenny

kennywenny Member

Maybe they have prior engagements, players away, attending a different comp or simply don't want to enter. I think it's a good contest and extremely well run. Changing facilities are not great but you just get on with it. Can't really see how that would stop a band from entering especially local bands .
  14. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

We had a band vote in June and decided not to go this year. As it turns out, some of us have a big 10 piece gig the night before anyway, so it would have been a bad run up. Maybe next year?

But people ARE put off by nowhere to change, nowhere to leave instrument cases, having to wait in the cold outside or the foyer, then register in a freezing chair store, no playing allowed. At least we used to be able to use the hut/room along from the hall to dump stuff and warm up.

Also, the fact that the Wyre Lounge is no longer a reputable Real Ale bar actually makes a difference to quite a few of us, and takes away the only silver lining!
  15. JPC

JPC New Member

In all the "top section" is pretty poor all round. The so called big bands tend to stick to the national contests and not bother with the local ones. Maybe if the top bands led by example it would encourage other bands to go....just my view.

Some use the odd contest as a run out or just to top band funds up!
  16. kennywenny

kennywenny Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even without the regular local bands entering this year there are still 30 bands that have entered. The same amount as last year and still more than the year before !

Very few competitions have ideal changing facilities ect due to financial constraints (probably)

Anyway I'm looking forward to a grand day out playing, wagging and eating some fish and chips. May even go down to the local pub for some real ale ;-)
  17. I recommend the Strawberry Gardens for your post contest drinks. My fellow Bass player at Thornton Cleveleys Band is the Landlord and they have a special "real ale" on for the weekend called 4bars Best!!!:tup
  18. Lofty Snr

Lofty Snr Member

Dreadful place, rotten facilities. I wish we wer'nt going, but we are!
  19. I hope you are refering to the marine hall and not the strawberry gardens!!:confused:
  20. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Strawberry Gardens? What a name!!