Flapping Sleeves.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by The Godfather, Dec 5, 2012.

1. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Have you ever noticed how some band conductors always seem to have problems with flapping shirt sleeves ? Particularly when conducting fast passages. I did hear about one conductor who actually took a pair of scissors to his cuffs during a concert interval.
    Is this peculiar to our movement, or does it apply to other spheres of musical activity?
    CORLEONE.

2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Conductors flapping seems very much the norm in my experience !

~ Mr Wilx

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It's semaphore - there's a mirror above the adjudicator's box on the ceiling, angled so that they can see the conductor. The conductor is conveying vital information to the adjudicator by their flapping - usually their order at the bar...

4. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Ah, not just the sleeves then? Can't cope with 7/4 and 12/16. I suppose flapping is preferable to crapping!
    Silly post, but as its nearly Christmas a bit of light relief from THE REGISTRY won't go amiss.
    CORLEONE.

5. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Good answer Dave.
    CORLEONE.

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

It does explain why people can be reluctant to be adjudicators - the bar bills must outweigh the fees by quite a way on days when flappy sleeves are popular.

7. The Godfather

The Godfather Member

Are you suggesting the our illustrious stick-waggers are inclined to over-indulge after performances, and even attempt to ply adjudicators with alcohol?
    Collusion and skullduggery in brass banding? Never!
    I think the flapping sleeves are due to ill-fitting shirts, and the flapping in general is down to under rehearsed material (usually blamed on poor attendance at rehearsal by the waggers)
    CORLEONE.

8. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

All I can say, gen'lmen, is that you are supposed to be listening to the music, not watching the waggers waggly bits flapping in the breeze from the trombones! Honestly, anybody would think the music was rubbish....

Oh!

:p

9. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

Golden rule with conducting; if any extraneous movement is more noticeable than what's meant to be going on, something ain't right.

That's what persuaded me to work without the stick when conducting bands; it's more movement (ie. more of a signal) than the players often need - economy of gesture, so long as what's there is helpful, often works better than a lot of 'showy' conducting.