[FIXED] are there two ways to quote previous posts?

Discussion in 'tMP Site News & Suggestions' started by Jan H, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

one more test by using the "quick reply" option with the "quote message in reply" button checked

similar results...

2. Moy

Moy Active Member

Just checking to see how mine works now.:)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2004
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Moy - I am intrigued as to what is causing this issue. I have sent a support ticket to vBulletin who are looking into it for me.

All I did to the post above (as Jan_h) correctly says, was to add the " to either side of the person who you are quoting. Doing this makes it work... weird eh

4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Now that is spooky!...

The first time I looked at Moys post, the quote she did looked like Jan's does just above hers... but when I looked for the 2nd time after John's post ^; Moys looks like it does now :shock:

Now, I know it's getting late, I've had a couple of pints, I'm blonde, female and a drummer.... but I know what I saw!! :lol:

mmm, and if you scroll down when you're replying to a thread, the quotes look the same...

Either way, it doesnt bother me too much.... it's quoted, it's clear.... all happy :) :lol: :cool: ;)

5. Moy

Moy Active Member

Hey John that's weird............when I left the post the " quote " marks were there and now they have gone.

The "quotes" are defo on this as well....................well at the moment.

6. TheMusicMan

No, they are not on there Moy. The quotes need to be around the name of the person you are quoting.

If you edit your post, you should see no quotes around my name... if you add them, then the quote box will display correctly.

This should be done automatically, I am still not sure why this isn't working properly.

7. Moy

Moy Active Member

Hey no prob we all know what it means anyway......................I am not bothered.:)

8. TheMusicMan

I have now had a reply from vBulletin technical support about this.

They are very helpful, but in this case have asked me to do a few things I am not too sure about. It might be that we have to live with this for a little while longer sorry...:(

Further testing ensues....:)

9. TheMusicMan

... and at long last, after speaking to the original developer of the tMP303 style, he managed to sort it for me so that all the quote functions work in each of the styles...:tup

Hopefully we can now consider this matter closed.

10. Jan H

I can! :tup

:woo

11. persins

persins Member

Quotes - partial and total

Hello there!

I've noticed that some people seem to be able to partially quote from previous posts whereas I only seem to be able to quote the entire post!

Is there a way to just quote the relevant part of the post in question without having to show the whole lot?

Advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Simon (Rupert)

12. TheMusicMan

I do believe you need to type or copy/paste the additional text...:tup

13. Jan H

if you use the "quote"button in a post, you can edit the text you want to quote as much as you want. (this does not work when you use the "quick reply" button instead of the "quote" button)

As John says, you can also copy-paste the txt that you want to quote into an empty message, and then "wrap"this text in quote-tags. This is done by selecting the text and pressing the litlle icon with the yellow text balloon

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Once you've clicked on the "Quote" button and have the text displayed, you can then highlight and delete any sections that you do not want to show. Alternatively, if you want the whole text to show, but to draw attention to a particular section, you can mark it as "bold" etc.

15. persins

persins Member

Winner!

Cheers Chaps!

Simon