Five News

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by DaveR, Jan 2, 2006.

1. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I've just heard a headline on Five News, but I didn't hear the whole article unfortunately. The headline, as spoken by Kirsty Thinggummy, was something like:

"Why the Sally Anne [her words, not mine!] are getting rid of brass bands to cultivate a younger image."

Anybody know what this was about? Personally, as I am not a Salvationist I'm not too worried whether they have a brass band in church or not, although as a generally conservative person I hate to see traditions of any sort eroded by so-called modernisation. I am a bit annoyed though that Five News (and the Salvation Army?? :confused:) are in effect saying that brass bands are for old people.....

I should have thought that the legions of SA bands people would have been up in arms about this one......

Be interested to know a) what the details of this news story are, and b) what you all think about it!!

2. postie

postie Member

I've tried looking on the Five News website but there are no clues on the story. Its an interesting story to put out - would love to hear what is being said!
  3. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Obviously I was the only person watching (OK, half watching!) Five News last night :icon_sad:

I can't see anything about this on Five News, Sky News, BBC News or the SA website either.

I don't think I imagined it :confused:
  4. postie

postie Member

Yeah Dave went through all the same sites as you and found nothing. It is all a bit mysterious really!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Although I didn't hear the original item, and haven't come across anything else about it yet, such headlines would not be new: I should imagine that something similar would have been around some 40 years ago when Joy Webb was asked to form what became the Joystrings.

The Salvation Army, along with many other organisations, has always been on the lookout for new ways to attract people, but this does not necessarily mean ditching the band in order to do so. It is true that the number of large SA bands has been declining, and in some areas other forms of worship music may have become more prominent, but I'm certain there is still a role for the traditional brass band, even if not necessarily used in the traditional way.
  6. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I wonder if it was possibly a report of a local decision. It's possible that some smaller corps/churches don't have the resources to sustain a band and are "officially" abandoning the use of the brass band in worship services and that the report covered something like this.

Although I'm no longer a Salvationist and haven't been for several years now, I'm quite sure that we'll continue to see SA Bands well into the future.
  7. persins

persins Member

I have not seen or heard anything about this feature but I have noticed that I haven't seen much of the Salvation Army bands out and about this christmas. It might be that I just managed to avoid it when I was in town but I didn't see any sign of them at all this year. Bit of a shame really.