fitting a trigger to a horn

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

Has anyone ever tried fitting a trigger to a horn?

2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

York?

3. monody

monody Member

Yes :tup

4. dave aston

dave aston New Member

Billy Rushworth had a horn with a trigger fitted that put it into E major.....brilliant for the end of Judges of The Secret Court...we all fear that bit!!

5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Dave Kratz from over the pond did it.. he's a member on here, although I forget the name.

6. Kjata

Kjata Member

[Insert generic horn insult here]!

7. Martin

Martin Member

.......and it works!!!! :tup

8. pbirch

pbirch Member

OK... it would be a sad end to the old joke "how do you get 2 tenor horn players to play in tune? shoot either one or both of them

9. Despot

Despot Member

The reason for asking is that I may have a number older Sov horns rebuilt shortly.

York horns as mentioned can have triggers, as do Prestige horns. So the idea came from somewhere. Is it merely copying what is happening with euphs and cornets, or have many players been fitting triggers to their horns?

10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Well the very latest 'design' for the tenor horn is by Yamaha (aided by Sheona White), called the Neo and it doesn't have a trigger. But then it doesn't need one. ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi All
    trigger
    horn Hi
  12. Despot

Despot Member

True, it doesn't - but neither do their euphs - despite the fact it seems a trigger may become a standard item on euphs in the future. Yamaha just hasn't have gone down that line.

13. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Probably because they are in tune throughout the range, so making a trigger a bit pointless.

14. bradders0123

bradders0123 New Member

I've played 2 horns on trial once with triggers, a York and a Besson Prestige. I personally think the trigger is pointless, and both horns have thier flaws. The York Has a huge trigger which is ugly and gets in the way and it's very hard to keep it in a position that's in tune and the valves are rubbish, they feel like you're pressing down on marshmallows. The Besson is much better than the York, it sounds good, the valves are fast but the trigger is ****, it's too stiff and hurts your thumb after a while. If I were you, I'd stick to a good horn without a trigger. I play a Besson 700 and don't plan on changing unless it's to a newer model Besson.

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

The trigger on the prestige takes a while to a) get used to and b) 'work-in', so to speak. It's just a case of TLC. It's a great addition to the instrument and really does help with lower-end intonation.

16. Despot

Despot Member

Had the same problem with my Prestige Euph, but found that using an oil called "Spacefiller" I got from Thomann did the trick!

Triggers are a great step forward.

17. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

I think making a horn that doesn't need a trigger is the true step forward. ;)

18. SalvationArmyBM

SalvationArmyBM New Member

Geneva fit triggers to both of their horns. I've found that usually I don't need a trigger but when you do need one it's good when one's there!

19. HornPlayerMK

HornPlayerMK Member

:clap: Thanks Rapier, couldn't agree more (although I would say that lol).

Horn players wanted something new, and the introduction of a trigger gave them that. However new instruments, if the time has been taken to design and engineer them correctly should not require it. Manufacturers should focus on getting the instruments right rather than concentrating on gimmicks.

However, I can see the benefits in retro fitting triggers to older vintage models, which were perhaps made at a time when the technology wasn't available!

20. worzel

worzel Member

In 4barsrest review of the Yamaha Neo they say that triggers on horns is just a fad, and imply that they are completely pointless. I've always thought they'd be useful but I must say I'm coming around to their way of thinking. When on cornet I found the triggers essential to play in tune, particularly low Ds and C#s, as it really slotted in tightly and lipping down was very hard work. But on the horn I can play most notes sharp or flat without much effort and it really does require me to concentrate on tuning much more (hence all the jokes about tenor horn players I guess). I think a trigger might distract the player from learning this, or be pretty redundant anyway if they'd already learnt it.

21. GordonH

GordonH Member

I think the real question should be why Besson (as was) felt the need to fit main tuning slide triggers rather than developing instruments that played more in tune to start with. To be more precise the problem appears to be that they narrowed the playable slots but the middle of the slots were above the correct pitch so it was easier to pitch them by extending the tube slightly via a trigger. So the advent of main tuning slide triggers was a way of covering up a design flaw.

Now, if I was telling fibs then there would be no cornets or trumpets that did play better in tune. Clearly there are and they don't need such devices. mmm.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Hi All
    trigger
    horn Hi