Fitted shirts?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by cookie2, Jun 25, 2007.

What is your opinion of wearing fitted shirts for band?

1. Good idea

14 vote(s)
  2. No point

10 vote(s)
  1. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Right, a question for the ladies here (and of course the gentlemen, should they wish to pass comment, although I would advise caution.... ;) )

What do you think of the concept of tailored shirts for band? Having been told by a friend that my band shirt "does me no favours" <slap> I have been considering this issue.

It is indeed true that the majority of band shirts make the ladies inside them look like a sack of spuds. In my opinion this is down to the fact that you have to get one with a stiff collar to cope with the tie, otherwise it looks stupid, which basically means buying a bloke's shirt. Consider then the need to allow room inside for those things which men don't have, and you end up with a shirt that is either way too baggy and looks stupid, or stretches hideously tight across the chest and looks stupid.

I have considered the possibilty of getting my existing shirts (which are of the baggy variety) altered in the hope that this will do more favours, but is there any point when you then have to chuck a jacket which could quite comfortably house a bunch of hippies at Glastonbury over the top of it?

Your opinions and ways round this fashion minefield would be much appreciated.
  2. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I'd much rather wear a fitted shirt but its a problem finding one with a stiff collar and a top button! Also ladies shirts never allow for my stupidly long arms so the sleeves stop half way to my elbow :confused:
  3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

You think so...? ;) :)

4. squirrel

squirrel Member

There's you're answer then - keep your handbag on the outside of the shirt ;)
  5. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Why do the women have to wear shirts anyway??
    My husband had never seen a band uniform properly before I got mine, and I put it on and he said "you look like a bloke and it's scaring me". THANKS HONEY!:oops:

But seriously though.. why do we have to wear shirts? Surely there's something out there that the ladies could wear that would look a little more feminine?? Maybe we could scrap the ties for ladies and let us have blouses without top buttons instead??

The only place I've found a fitted ladies shirt is online here and £25 is a bit on the steep side for a shirt when you can get a look-like-a-sack-of-spuds-asda mens 15.5" £5 shirt!!:tongue:
  6. cookie2

cookie2 Member

My secret is out! :eek:

And everybody thought I didn't own a handbag, when all the time I had one under my shirt cleverly disguised as something else entirely.

Had you fooled for a while though didnt I? ;)

Hmm, expensive but nice. And it would give me an opportunity to wear my cufflinks.... :-?
  7. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

*falls off chair*
  8. squirrel

squirrel Member

LMAO! :clap: Can't believe I missed that! :biggrin:
  9. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

OMG I'm always saying daft things like this! :redface:

Well spotted!! :clap:

And no, it wasn't my intention to request we go without shirts entirely, just with a different kind of umm top half garment type thing :tongue:
  10. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I've been arguing this one with my band for many long years. Ladies shouldn't have to wear ties, we should have nice white blouses. In fact I want to get rid of silly band jackets altogether. They're outdated, unnattractive and either too hot or too cold.
    Polo shirts all round with the band logo on the front, and nice matching fleeces for outdoors, also with the band logo on. Comfortable and modern (note I did NOT say stylish.)
    When band uniforms were invented the military style was all the rage. We've moved on a bit from then, and most bands now have these weird things called women in them.
  11. cookie2

cookie2 Member

I don't necessarily object to wearing ties, or even the jackets (although I'm lucky that mine is only mildly silly, and not one of the _really_ silly ones, and one that fitted would be nice....) but finding the shirts to accommodate them is not easy for ladies.

So maybe the badger is indeed a wise creature, and it's time for some sort of rethink....

Trouble is, trying to change brass band tradition is like a field mouse trying to push an elephant through a cat flap.

(You'll have to excuse me, I'm rambling today. Anyway, back to work...)
  12. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

The polo shirt idea would work quite well for bandstands and the like. But frankly it wouldn't hold up well taking the stage at the Royal Albert Hall for a Proms concert, nor heading a Remembrance Sunday-style parade - on those occasions the band would look scruffy and underdressed.

The trouble with replacing the normal band uniform is what do you replace it with? At the moment a band looks the same, and players don't have to provide their own jackets so the costs are kept relatively low. I know that bands who have adopted a polo shirt have also kept a 'formal' uniform as well. YBS admittedly look smart in their newer get-up, but that needs to be much better tailored for an individual player which puts the costs up.

If we were to follow the orchestral model...dinner suits and black ballgowns for most gigs, white tuxes and cocktail dresses for festive occasions, tails and ballgowns for big nights...each provided by the individual...suddenly our hobby is much more expensive. It's also very impractical for bandstands, and next to impossible for marching, especially for the ladies.

Brass band uniforms have evolved as they have because they cater for what a brass band is and what it does. Part of the reason they don't fit properly and aren't comfortable is because we don't put enough care or money into them, either as individuals or bands. If everyone had a clean jacket tailored to fit them it would look smart, and it would be comfortable.

As for the original topic of ladies, shirts and what you girls keep under the shirts, I'm staying well away from that minefield because I know anything I say will come out wrong!!! :oops:
  13. squirrel

squirrel Member

The worst uniform I've ever seen was a youth band sponsored by (I think) JJB Sports in the 80's - they had very fetching shell suits :eek:
  14. Trumpet Major

Trumpet Major Member

Kustom Kit Shirts

I buy my shirts from Kustom Kit...admittedly they have pilots epaulettes on but they are designed for women and therefore are shorter, have darts in the right place, have the correct neck fit and are a lot better fitting on the arms.
    If you want to take a look, see

Hope this helps

15. S Carey

S Carey New Member

My guess is that your band manager is male, right?

So then change it! Get the females together, go on a shopping day, decide on the style of open neck shirt you want to wear with your walking out uniform and buy enough of that style so you are all the same. If you're not averse to wearing a tie, keep the dickie bow for the stage with your tunic and your "man's" shirt. I dont see any problem with not wearing a man's tie, as long as your jacket has the name of your band on it. If there's a real problem, go to Tie Rack and buy a scarf the same colour as your band's tie.

Men never notice anything till its pointed out to them, so just change it.
  16. bigmamabadger

;) Dear lovely Morghoven, it's very sweet of you to worry about things like that but the chances of my band playing in the Albert Hall are about the same as mine of becoming Pope.
    I was specifically talking about my band, and others like us, small village bands, 4th or 3rd section, do a lot of garden parties, village fetes, bandstands etc.
    We ain't never going to win any deportment prizes at the best of times. And that's assuming the solo horn player's trousers don't fall down. (Should have worn a belt).
    We can only afford cheap jackets and they look it too, but even the cheap jackets are over £100.
  17. cookie2

cookie2 Member

Mmm, class :tup

I reckon my youth band could have given them a run for their money though: blue ruffled shirts; enormous 'Princess Di' floppy bow tie for the ladies, small velvet one for the gents; and us girls got to wear a floor length (if you were lucky) fully lined, black nylony skirt that got a tad sticky in hot conditions to say the least....

If there are any Scissett Youth Band veterans out there they'll be shuddering now!

(Maybe that's why I don't mind the jackets and ties so much....)
  18. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Ladies, the ideal place to buy fitted shirts - with a proper collar and a top button - is the school uniform department of somewhere like BHS or M&S. You can get really good deals as well. I wear either age 12 or age 13 (I'm a size 6/8 in "real life").

I get my black trousers from the school uniform department as well (again, age 13 fits fine but I'm quite short).

I know of a different band in the Sussex area where the ladies HAVE to wear man style shirts - fitted ones are forbidden. Why?! Men's shirts are so unflattering!
  19. bigmamabadger

Whilst I can still wear children's shoes, the days of being able to fit into children's clothing is long gone. Thank you for reminding me.:tongue:
  20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Whilst many of us blokes may not have a problem with women without shirts, I don't know that it would be conducive to family friendly environment.

Our band's uniform (BBColumbus) are black blazers (men's blazers are the same make, women have found and alternative...more feminine cut) , "heather-gray" trousers and a white dress shirt/ uniform tie for men, white blouse and pearl necklace for ladies. I think it looks uniform, yet deals with the gender issue quite well.

We also have summer uniforms that are polos, however the other band we play in (TBDBITL band) have men's and women's polos with the women's having the "proper fit" for the extra bits already mentioned in previous posts.

I think we have two good possibilities with the BBColumbus main unis and the TBDBITL polos...however I think other good ideas exist out there e.g. the YBS look is quite smart and the "no shirt" idea is always attractive ;):clap: