Fishing

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bagpuss, Jun 29, 2006.

1. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

I've recently started fishing a little more regularly. I'm not brilliant at it but I enjoy it and that's the main thing. I am also not in possession of the most up to date or expensive equipment and again, I'm not bothered at all. I know that a certain person has always wanted to organise a fishing competition (I won't name names in case he gets stuck with the job of organising one), so it got me thinking. Are there many people on tMP who are anglers? And more to the point are there any people who would be up for a tMP fishing competition somewhere in the country (and would anyone like to organise one??)

Puss

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP
    date
    tMP fishing competition
    wo
    people
  3. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Fishing? And you have the nerve to post against Wimbledon! At least there is the occasional fit girl to look at!

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I used to love going fishing when I was a kid, had all the gear, thought nothing of getting up at 3 or 4 in the morning to trudge down to the local dam or river Calder...sold all my gear tho when i started working...was never really that good at it anyway.

Would love to take part again, but it'd cost a fortune replacing all my stuff...and fortunes I aint got! :(

5. Andybassbone

Andybassbone Member

So are we talking course or sea fishing??

6. Andybassbone

Andybassbone Member

You obviously have not been fishing on the beach in Dorset when the sun is out:)

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Or indeed, trout or salmon fishing with the fly.

8. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Personally, having seen quite a few of the 'women' Wimbledon has to offer I reckon the fish I catch are better looking and more talented!

And for those of you who were wondering I was indeed talking about course fishing and not any other form.

Puss

9. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've got all the gear but haven't been for ages. Used to go almost every week before uni but rarely get the time these days.

10. Chris Sanders

Chris Sanders Active Member

Last tyime I went I hired a boat on the Shannon and sailed southerly through ireland, it was ace, stopped every lunchtime and evening for a spot of fishing and a few pints of proper guinness.

The fish I caught round the power station were huge, I am told that this is due to the warm water that is pumped back into the shannon after cooling the cooling towers??

11. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

One of my earliest childhood memories is going fishing with my dad and falling in the lake/pond thing. Not really been a big fan of fishing since then!

However i do know a man that is! Our Conductor seems to be fishing crazy at the mo, so its worth getting him on the case, i feel like an expert in fishing and thats just from going to the pub after practices!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP
    date
    tMP fishing competition
    wo
    people
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Catch me a nice big Place Fish and i will say Thank You
    But fishing is just time wasted to me sorry

Last edited: Jul 2, 2006
  14. flugel_fancy

flugel_fancy Member

I completely agree. Whats fun about sitting all day not being able to get up and go anywhere (big yawn) incase you get a 'bite' and then 9 times out of 10 having to throw the fish back because it is too small. That's after janking a great big hook out of it's mouth. And when you do......finally...... catch one big enough smacking it across the head with a rock!:eek:

Not that I mind eating fish don't get me wrong that's the circle of life they die so we can live :-? but making a sport out of hurting something living it's no better than fox hunting. (she cringes as she hears hissing from the back row for bringing fox hunting into conv.)

Oh and you always go home smelling rather unpleasant :redface:

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

If you organise a canal trip I will happily come and drive the boat while you ll fish from it. Because I don't crash into bridges...
    BMB
    xx

16. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

There's a damned good reason you don't crash into bridges: because we're rarely daft enough to let you or that pseudo Welsh bird drive!! Besides, if I'm fishing and you're driving, who the hell is going to be making the bacon butties and tea/coffee/alcoholic beverages?? I couldn't possibly do it, I'm fishing. Doubt any of the other males on the boat would either, simply because it's not a males job!! [ducks quickly to avoid badly aimed missile thrown by random female]

Puss

17. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

I do believe that some people see angling as an excuse to consume copious amounts of alcohol and if fishing off the canals in Amsterdam a reason to partake of the fayre of the brown cafes. However knowing brass players I really can't see that appealling.

Bagpuss your ok with the Badger driving the boat as long as there isn't a jeep for her to try and kill off!

18. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

I know, he tried shove a crab through my car window the other week. Odd!!

19. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Hmmm, not so sure about that. With her driving ability, if she was piloting the canal boat and a jeep drove past on a road she'd still manage to damage the jeep and then claim it jumped out on her or something. I've often seen the strange look in her eye when a 4x4 drives past. I'd always blamed it on the alcohol until now!!!

Puss

20. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg Member

Shoving strange things thru windows hmmm sounds like a new weird thread to me!!

21. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Hey, I never actually hit that Merc parked by the canal in Wolverhampton!
    Men don't make bacon butties because they don't know how to, poor helpless lambs.
    Might be tempted to join fishing trip if it means standing up to my waist in raging Scottish torrent, (Not a very deep one then.) effortlessly landing wild salmon which I can then eat...
    BMB
    xx

22. Andybassbone

Andybassbone Member

Hey i would like you to know that i have made many an excellent bacon butty, on river bank, beach and even in a force 6 gale on a boat whilst fishing:tongue: