Fish out of water

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by HorniKaz, Apr 1, 2006.

1. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

We're short staffed at work today which means I'm playing receptionist! Ask me anything about spectacle lenses & I'm fine, but ask to make an appointment with the contact lens optician & I'm stuck.:-( Anybody else have days at work like this?
  2. persins

persins Member

Ohh yeah!! I think I'm going to be like that at work next week! I'm covering for my Manager and another one all week due to holidays and paternity leave etc.

I'm probably going to end up swamped with issues right left and centre but hey, at least I can go on a mini power trip for a while!!
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Yeah, I had to go with one of our sales people yesterday to something called a "customer". Apparently they have something to do with the money that goes in my bank account every month. They asked lots of strange and difficult questions but I managed to fend them off by covering my ears and shouting "la la la I'm not listening". I think it worked....

[*briefly steps off-topic]
    PS Hornikaz, thanks for the sponsorship, much appreciated
  4. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I had to go in the Cigarette and Lottery Kiosk all on my own at work the other night, because the person who was on the rota to do Kiosk was all poorly :( and so they decided that I was the next most qualified person as I had been in there a whole 2 times before! I also had to close it down..... all on my own.... without ever having done any of it before! I also had to do the Lottery and the customers knew more than I did :tongue: was great fun though! Oooooh and I don't know the first thing about fags either, so that was fun aswell! :D
  5. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I spent one summer working for the county council in the Schools IT office. Now don't get me wrong, I can use a computer fine, but ask me what goes on inside and you've lost me! I spent most of my days telling the teachers who phoned us to "hang on, I'll just put you through to the help desk."

And it was great fun when I was there on my own for a whole week. I dread to think what state the computers of Carmarthenshire were in in the end!
  6. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

My first shift back after uni at Christmas, waitressing at Pizza Hut...

Everyone called in sick on the same day!

Terrible weather, full resturant, and only two waitressing, two making the pizzas, and one manager for 54 tables!! Nightmare!

Then there was the time the deputy resturant manager 'forgot' to do the rota for Thursday, and was frantically calling everyone in to work on the Wednesday night...I still don't understand how she managed to do that!!! :confused:
  7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Spent last week in charge of my office cos the big wigs were away and I think I coped quite well. Had to book all the new jobs in and make sure that all the current jobs went out on time, and that new jobs were handed out in prioritised order. It wasn't something I was used to but it didn't cause me any problems...thankfully.

Back to a mere minion this week.
  8. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

Did you get paid any extra?!
  9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Nope, cos I'm that kind of guy.

A mug. :(
  10. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

It doesn't necessarily matter if you get paid for taking on extra responsibility. Sometimes the fact that you're getting the extra experience can help your career more

Although in Crawf's case extra workload = less time on tmp. Nightmare!!!!
  11. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

I started a new job on monday

I feel really lost about what my job actually entails, but then again its only my third day.
    Im still at the making tea stage.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2006
  12. Ellie

Ellie Member

Hey don't worry i been at my job four years and i still not sure what is is i actually am employed to do i am jack of all trades master of ****** all welcome to the world
  13. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Its something to do with shipping i know that much. ive been passed my first contract today to manage so id better not blow it i suppose. Ive got someone to fall back on if not, but then again havent we all.
  14. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

My dad is in charge of maintenance at the local dockyard, he had a job application come into in which it said "is there anything you are not prepared to do?........I don't want to have to wash dishes" I don't think that guy quite understands what a job in a dockyard entails either! my dad's reply "but we fix ships?!! Whats that got to do with washing dishes?!!
  15. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

My first shift back at Pizza Hut after Easter...and I get to do it in a strange store!!

I went in on Sunday to tell them that I'm back from uni, and to put me on the rota for next week. Yesterday afternoon I get I phone call - "Are you free to cover a shift this evening?" So I tell them that I am, only to get a reply, "the only trouble is, it isn't in our store."

So I had to go all the way to St Austell (I normally work in Truro), work in a strange place, with strange people, doing a job I hadn't done for 13 weeks!! Got paid 2 extra hours on top of my wages for doing it though! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
  16. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Years ago when I was temping I went to work for a company on reception. They put me on the switchboard, no manual, verbal instructions that might have been in Mongolian for all I understood, then ******ed off and left me on my own. Don't think a single call got through that day...
  17. persins

persins Member

As expected, this week has so far been full of issues!! I've actually had to do some work for once! Having to work on 3 different projects symultaneously is not easy!! Plus having to deal with minions and still manage to do my business as usual job has meant long days this week!!
    I've found out one thing though. Project Management is more than just pressing the forward button!