first timer!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by trombelle, Nov 10, 2004.

1. trombelle

trombelle Member

this is a bit embarassing but i need the wisdom of all you tMPers (again!)

as some of you know, i'm not exactly what you'd call a fan of performing solos. i've done a few little ones with my band but nothing more than that. my dad is a trom player and he's always telling me to 'go for it'. i'm moving away for uni next year and will no longer be playing regularly with him. with this in mind...

i'm CONSIDERING performing a trom solo at the next college concert as a surprise for the old man (and a kick up the a**e for me). i have a couple of pieces in mind but the thought of just me, my trom (plus piano accomp.) and a room full of people absolutely terrifies me! i was wondering if you had any tips for controlling my tuning and intonation as it goes to pieces when i'm nervous, and any general hints about performing my first big solo?

sorry for waffling but any hints would be much appreciated.
    ta
    shell x

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMPers
    trom solo
    trom player
    wisdom
    general hints
  3. six pints

six pints Active Member

just dont worry about it (easy to say i know). or imagine the audience all naked!

good luck!!

4. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well, for a start I always feel like I'm about to collapse from my heart beating way too fast before playing a solo... but I'm usually ok once I'm playing... once you get up there, have a quick chat with the piano player (hey, you alright? cool...) then get yourself comfortable, wink at the best looking person in the front row and then look at the wall behind the audience, and pretend they're not there while you're playing... works for me!

5. trombelle

trombelle Member

nor love! that's my mates, teachers and family! YUK!!!

thanx for fast and helpful replies guys, keep 'em coming!

6. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

I like lynchie's style.

But I'd say you've either got two options, practice it so much there's no possible way you can get it wrong, and everything goes on auto-pilot,

or,

do a couple of practice concerts, ie get a couple of mates who are non-musical, and play to them, it wont make any difference to them how in tune you are (hopefully!) and that's your first big solo out the way. It wont be as important as the one to your dad, but it should give you a chance to see how you perform (ie your tuning etc), and give you more confidence that you can do it!

7. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

which reminds me, I'd better get practising frosty for tomorrow nights rehearsal :-S

8. T-Horn

T-Horn Member

don't forget your doing it off by heart like the rest of us!! :)

9. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

yeah right!

10. trombelle

trombelle Member

11. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

always full of good ideas, the important thing to remember though is that everyone gets nervous, it's just a case of controlling them by knowing what you do when you get nervous.

ps, I'm sure your friends will produce some far worse comments than those!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    tMPers
    trom solo
    trom player
    wisdom
    general hints
  13. trombelle

trombelle Member

unfortunately, i think you may be right there :S

14. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I heard if you move your slide in it raises the pitch and if you move it out it lowers the pitch...don't know if its true, but that's what I've heard :rolleyes: .

PJH

15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

play the "derry air" in front of your irish dad on st patricks day when he's drunk... after that an audience full of stangers seems like a walk in the park...