First Time in London (and the UK)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by knuxie35, Jan 21, 2007.

1. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

I'll be making a first trip ever from Texas this week. Trying to figure out what to do on Friday and Saturday. Any ideas for a couple wanting to see as much as they can in a short time?

Ken F.
  2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

WOW Ken... all the way to London from Texas for just a weekend!!!

It all depends what your interests are to be honest as to what to suggest. Maybe the usual ones such as the London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Westminster and the Commons/Big Ben, the West End, Covent Garden, Trafalgar Square. Then there's the shopping haunts such as Oxford Street, Regent Street (they intersect), Harrods in Kensington et al.

Another excellent hour or two that would be worthwhile would be to go to one or two of the city's museums such as the Natural History Museum, Victoria & Albert etc.

How's that for a starter for ten?

3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Nothing wrong with that!!

Alot of the stuff tMM mentioned is a nice walk away from each other.

For example, if you took the tube to Bond Street you could walk east down Oxford Street past Regent and take some of the alleys through Soho (very interesting stuff there) south to Picadilly circus (thus having caught the view of the main bit of Regent street from both ends).Then you can head east from Picadilly Circus to Leister Square (sp?). Check discount tickets and maybe catch a show ? Then go south to Trafalgar Square (there is a big art museum there) and further south to Big Ben, Parliment and Westminster Abbey. Of course its a bit of walking, so you may have to stop in a few pubs to warm up.

As tMM mentioned, the British Museum, and Harrods are also good. There is also a pretty nic science museum by Royal Albert Hall.

Also, on Saturday there are FA Cup matches at Fulham, Tottenham and West Ham. For the early rounds its usually pretty easy to still get tickets and seeing a 'football' match in England is quite an experience.
  4. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Don't forget the Tower of London. (Tube to Tower Hill).
  5. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

Great, got all those down. What about dining? Fish and chips is fine with me, but where would you go?

Ken F.
  6. TheMusicMan

There are restaurants everywhere Ken, but you'll have a wonderful selection if you went to Covent Garden. They have street performers, acts and all manner of free entertainment there daily. Well worth it.
  7. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

Thanks. I was also told under no circumstance to go to any fast food places (McDonald's, etc.). Interesting, I never go to those here.

Ken F.
  8. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

the Last time I was in London, I did the Monopoly board, went to every place mentioned on the board and took pictures of the signs there, very good fun
  9. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

The first thing you should do when you get here is purchase an oyster card for £3, and then you will be able to take advantage of the reduced fares available to prepay users. These are available from any underground station. Further infromation at oyster card here.
  10. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I Like your signature, Alyssa Milano, schaaawing
  11. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

The best thing to do in London??

Go to Kings Cross and catch the first train to Newcastle!

12. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Re: things to do in london

Why not come and have a play with a brass band??!

13. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

I'd love to just stop in and listen. Who practices on a Friday or Saturday?

Ken F.
  14. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

None that I can find in London, Ken.
  15. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Stonesfield band (1st section) practice on Friday. They are based out in Oxford area but I conduct the band and drive from London so could give you lift there and back if you like? What do you play, you would be welcome to have a blow if we can sort you an instrument out.

Pop me an email to

16. six pints

six pints Active Member

Might take a while- took me over 5 hours to get from durham to morpeth last week!

Do them big red open top buses still go round? its been years since i went to london! if so that'd be a good way to have a look around
  17. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

Thanks again for all the suggestions, everyone. Hopefully during my short stay I'll bump into one of you guys somewhere between Slough and Folkestone. to get mean board my flight!:D

Ken F.
  18. knuxie35

knuxie35 Member

I would like to take this moment to thank Charley, Sue, Sonia Blandford and Grenville Hancox of the wind symphony of Canterbury Christ Church University for a wonderful extended weekend stay in the UK. The final performance was nothing short of amazing. I was so sad to depart so quickly. Four days is just not enough. [​IMG]

I would also like to thank Simon Jones and the Stonesfield Silver Band for having me and my wife sit in with his rehearsal. I got a nice feel of what a true British brass band experience is like.

Lastly, thanks to Malcolm Stowell for showing me around St. Mary's Church in Slough. I hope he got it all off his chest what he truly felt about me. [​IMG]

Again bravo to all the players and hope we can do this again.

Ken F.
  19. TheMusicMan

Wonderful to read you had a great time here in the UK for a few short days Ken. Thanks for the update.
  20. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

Hi Ken, apologies I have only just found your post on this thread. Glad you enjoyed the British Brass Band experience! Give me a shout if you are back on this side of the pond anytime. Wishing you well, Simon