First Solo - Ever !

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Farmer Giles, Dec 31, 2008.

1. Farmer Giles

Farmer Giles Member

Hi all

i have made it clear to the MD that i'd like to play a solo.

however at 35 years old i have NEVER played a solo !

looking for something that will sound effective but not be too taxing.

just as a guide, My Love Has Got A Big Red Nose is no problem. (after 14 pints or so!)

happy new year
  2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

How about "Share My Yoke" ?
  3. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Good on ya!

Try Rusalka's Song to the Moon, it's a good'un :)

All the best.
  4. Beesa

Beesa Member

Best of luck!!

Personally, I have always gone by the maxim that one is asked or invited to do a solo rather than the other way round. :)
  5. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

As a former MD, I didn't mind players asking (politely, of course). But there were some principals without principles who DEMANDED to play. My response was alway polite but in the message was clear. A jerk was going to play a solo "over my dead body".

I felt the 2nd, 3rd, rep, and flugel were just as important as the "front row" players.

Although, I do believe this thread was written with a little tongue in cheek.

6. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I'm 27 and I've never played a solo, but I sure there is a very good reason/s!!!
  7. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

intermezzo from Caveliria Rusticana - easy, and beautiful!
  8. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

I really really really saw someone write this as "Share my Yolk" in a concert review, I think it was on a well-known brass band website but can't be sure...

Mind you, I went to a concert in Northampton by a famous band in November and the programme said "National Anthum" amongst other bloopers. Suspect it was typed up by the locals...

Back on thread, choose something slightly easier than you can cope with under normal circumstances - playing your first solo ain't normal... but it is exciting - enjoy it!
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  9. DocFox

DocFox Supporting Member

Not a lot of solos for Eb tuba. Although one of the best duets I have heard was duet for Eb tubas in Scott Joplin's rag, "Easy Winners".

It is played on the station or you can buy it from Midland CD.

Recorded by Brighouse & Rastrick Band

But Eb tuba solos are not plentiful and the ones that are out there are difficult for the most part.

10. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

... that gives me an idea for a new thread... ;)
  11. Toddus

Toddus New Member

wat about Song and Dance by Philip Sparke if your feeling up to it!
  12. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

My MD told me before Christmas he wants me to do a solo next year and told me to have a think about what I'd like to play.

I like "I Hear You Calling Me".

It's lovely and lyrical, very classy and it's not one of those solos that everyone else does.
  13. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

My first soloi wass 'Bass in the the Ballroom'. But as you play cornet, that wont be appropriate, lol! I would say, as Scaryflugel has, something nice and easier than you would play normally. Your first solo is a normal situation! Enjoy!
  14. Martin

Martin Member

Try 'Nellie the Elephant' from It's not particularly difficult, but fun!
  15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Your best bet might be to get a few solo CDs and have a listen, see if anything stands out as being a) playable, b) capable of demonstrating your strengths and c) something you'd enjoy. Playing a solo is quite a personal thing, and most players who do it regularly have got favourite pieces or styles of piece that they like to do. Some players love operatic arias and songs - the standard "slow melodies" as per the famous McCann CDs of the 80s. If you're more of a technical player you might do better with something that demonstrates your ability to get through lots of notes. My personal favourites are Song and Dance and Love on the Rocks. I'm also very fond of Rusalka's Song to the Moon but I don't have a good enough sound for opera arias!