First rehearsal since the areas

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Owen, Mar 15, 2004.

1. Owen

Owen Member

Tonight will be the first rehearsal my band has had since the areas after a week off. I just wondered if most bands take time off after an important contest and what the first rehearsal back is like? We were disappointed with our result, but by the time the curry had been sorted out later in the day people were back on the up I think. Anyway - do some bands have a dissection of the contest or just forget about it and move on? I am hoping for some new music after such a prolonged length of time on Coventry Variations!
  2. Heather

Heather Member

We just get Wednesdays rehearsal off and then it will be full steam ahead rehearsing Journey Into freedom for the Senior Cup.
    We'll have a bit of an inquest but seeing as we were really chuffed at how we played there's not much to say really.......apart from pulling Mr Newsome to bits!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Lotta

Lotta Member

We now have the following weeks rehearsal off after any big concert/contest as the majority of the band don't turn up anyway! They need time to rest their lickle heads and recuperate!! :D
  4. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I was very pleasnatly surprised to see an almost full practice at our first one after the areas. It was so good to be playing some new music.
  5. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Our area was on Saturday, first practice is tonight. No rest for the wicked!
  6. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Our area is next Saturday. I am certain that we will be given no rehearsals off :lol:

Our MD is of the opinion if its a bad result we need to sort it, if its a good result we need to build on it!

As Chairman I fully support him, after all we all look forward to going to band as that is why we do it!
  7. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

We have the week off after the areas but are having a committee meeting on Thursday.
  8. dyl

dyl Active Member

Our contest was on Saturday. Had the night off last night - (probably due to the fact that we were travelling back from Swansea not 100% sober) - back to normal for Thursday's rehearsal!
  9. Lucky Beaver

Lucky Beaver Member

Now then Owen,

Our Area was last Sunday and traditionally the Monday after we have our AGM. Think this might be a sly move as players on a high after a decent result might be more inclined to volunteer for the committee :D Maybe change the date if we get a bad result, eh guys!

We didn't have a serious post-mortem although I don't think that would've been a bad thing. Now we can get hold of a recording of the performance and adjudicators comments, it can only be a good thing (as long as there is no naming and shaming of course :twisted: )

Looking forward to getting some new music too. Any ideas or recommendations?
  10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

we have this week off... then back to it next week... well, the band minus me... as I'm off on a break for several weeks on my hols :)
  11. Dawnys_flug

Dawnys_flug Member

Missed my bands first practise 'cause i was poorly. :cry:
    They didn't have the week off after the areas though.
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We had the practice after off, so our first rehearsal back was last Thursday. After our result, I was dreading it but it was quite a positive rehearsal. Spent most of it looking at concert stuff because we have 4 concerts in the next 4 weeks!

Did have a bit of a post-mortem, read through the remarks, and tried to work out why we did so badly. But apart from tempos we didn't seem to do too much wrong (usual helpful remarks :roll: )
  13. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

We had a week last Monday off, and I missed Wednesday due to university work, so my first rehearsal after the areas was today. I must say attendance wasn't too bad, but generally the band wasn't playing too well. Despite our MD trying to bring us up after the disappointing Areas result, we just haven't recovered from the mental hangover yet.

Plus I'm right cheesed off that we seem to have drifted back into "arrangements" (ie, pop songs, film music, etc) ... I suppose not everyone likes test pieces :D
  14. Kernewek Den

Kernewek Den Member

All this talk of post area rehearsals, we've still got the best part of two weeks before ours :!:

I expect we'll get the Monday night off though to give us chance to discuss the Decree Nisi that'll be waiting for us on our return :lol:
  15. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

We only stopped for one night, might have been due to the fact that we were still in the pub on Monday night!
  16. Owen

Owen Member

Well - I got my wish for new music. Les Preludes!

Bring on the Grand Shield!!!!
  17. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

well when we go back we should be getting new music, new conductor, new everything, so should be a bit interesting!
  18. Moy

Moy Active Member

Our area contest was on Sunday but our euph player went straight back to take our Community band rehearsal. We have our next rehearsal Wednesday and a joint concert Saturday night.
    Get in with it and roll on next contest. :wink:
  19. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

And what a rehearsal we had! Everyone was buzzing and a little giddy, and it was lots of fun. I played the timp parts at the start of Gabriels Oboe by stomping my feet seeing as we had to percussion, and it was a very positive practice. Huzzah!
  20. angie

angie Member

Our first rehearsal will be thursday (although I wont be there-I'll be at my thrilling uni choir rehearsal)
    No matter what music we play i know Tristan Encounters is going to come out of the end of my cornet as the piece is still and will for ever more be imbedded in my brain! :shock: must stop humming to self... :?