First March?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Despot, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Despot

Despot Member

Hi All,

I have a junior band ready to set sail on the joy of their first "proper" brass band march. They'd manage True and Trusty, but they'll probably end up playing it a contest next year, so I'm looking for something that hasn't been completely played to death!

Any suggestions?

2. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

Blaze Away? Army of the Nile? The Chieftan? Westward Ho?

3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

sorry all have been used to death but good for a junior band!

4. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Army of the Niles well hard. blue an rusty is the best march ever :D Home again is OK sos the round tower.

5. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I know its simple to play but how about
    Slaidburn

6. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

On long parades, or when we expect to have to play a March "round & round" without a break for any length of time ( - like playing a long carnival parade into the arena for example) we use "The New Recruit" (sp?); simple, straightforward, & effective, not too demanding on the chops, and the cornets even get 8 bars rest (repeated) in the trio section.

[BTW, not to be confused with "The Young Recruit"; in fact, as we know from experience, it is probably safest not to have both pieces in your march pads at the same time - Charles Ives, eat your heart out!]

G.

7. Steve

Steve Active Member

Liberty Bell purely cos Kids love it.

Which ever march Wem used on their rememberance parade this year would be good too, think it was one of the ........ recruit ones mentioned earlier. I really liked that.

Over to the Wem massive.

8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- why not Bryan Kelly's 'Washington DC'? Written years ago I believe for the National Youth Brass Band Of Scotland and still sounds fresh and cheerful today!

9. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I gotta say it.....

....Punchinello!

Can't go wrong with Rimmer.

10. Despot

Despot Member

I actually like it myself, remember playing when I was much smaller!

Appreciate all the suggestions guys! :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    True
    Trusty
    brass band march
    junior band ready
    year
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Mate last night who has many young pupils recommended 'The Cossack' as a suitable march.

13. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

hmmm I like the cossack but its kinda hard! Slaidburn is the easiest and best march i've ever played :tongue: I also like the Middy (except when I through my cornet across the square during it :tongue: but we won't go there) I think Cornish Cavalier is fairly easy from what I remember, my part was ok anyway!

14. alks

alks Member

Every year we use a few marches from the march books ,,,,cant remember the correct name but i think its '20 handy marches'. Anyway the 4 we always seam to use are: 1)The new recruit 2)Strong and sturdy 3)ivanhoe 4)The spirit of freedom.
    All not too hard to play, although i think mainly used for marching and stuff.

alks

15. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

I totally agree. It was the first march I ever played in my first junior band and it stuck with me forever..... I can still play the bas/euph/trom bit off by heart :)
    Altogether, dur dur, de de dur, du du der, di de derrrrrr, du durrr, de de derrrrr, der de de di de di derr,di di di di !!!!! :biggrin:

Andy, stuck in a vicious time warp

16. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

You, Sir, have been away from bands too long. You need a fix of BPS!

17. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

18. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- how about Arsenal (Jan Van der Roost) ???