First Interview. Help needed.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassybabe, Mar 25, 2006.

1. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

Hi guys
    I know there are some experienced teachers on here so im calling for help. I have just got my first interview for a music teaching job.
    I have been told i have to teach a year 8 class on anything i want for 30 minutes. Has anyone got any ideas of what i could teach and any words of wisdom for the formal interview part.

Thanks in advance. :D

2. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

yes be creative in your lesson and interact with the kids, they are looking at how well the kids relate to you in such a short time, they will also be checking to see if you have the personality that will fit in with their department. In the interview they may ask you how well your lesson went, try and be positive and negative not just one or the other. Don't be afraid to take into the interview a piece of paper with some key points written down on - you may feel odd doing it but when nerves kick in you'll be glad not to be speechless. Try and think of good examples of your teaching and bad examples that you have made positve either with another class or what you learnt from it. They will want to know what you can offer the school and the department, particularly with music, that you can devote time after school for the job. They may ask you about the future as they will not want to have to recruit again soon, it's expensive so they will want to get it right. Try and think about where you would like to go in five years time after your NQT year and having settled as a teacher - they may have visions of using you elsewhere in the school, such as, citizenship, tutor, head of year etc. Most of all be passionate about the job and your subject and the school.

Let me know how you get on.

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hi Elaine

You might like to ask a similar question over on my wifes www site which is here - which though predominantly is aimed at pre-school and nursery children, does get many teachers browsing it. As such you will get additional exposure and may get a few more replies that could help.

Good luck with the interview...:tup

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I am not a music teacher but for some general advice:

1. Make sure you have researched the school and can ask/answer specific questions
    2. Know something about the 'every child matters' strategy. http://www.everychildmatters.gov.uk/ all schools/colleges are now assessed against this at inspection and have to show how they are implenting it. That could be a good question for the end of the interview for you to ask?
    3. Have a good look around the school at interview or ideally ask for a visit before hand. Make sure it is the sort of place you are looking for. They can cover allsorts up for an interview day but if you go on another day you should get a more accurate picture.
    4. In your lesson do something interative with the students. It's a big thing at the moment to be a 'facilitator' rather than 'teacher'.
    5. Make sure you have some sort of activity to consolidate their learning at the end.
    6. Try out the activity and make sure it can realistically be done in the time. You will have to think on your feet as you don't know the kids but at least make sure it is physically possible to fit in and know where to draw the line and move on with individual actitivities. There is an online timer which is good on http://www.kscience.co.uk/animations/timer.swf. You can have this up on the board and the kids can clearly see how long they have got to do something.
    7. Try taking stickers with you and getting the students to put their names on them stuck on their chest. This way you can use their names. This makes controlling what is going on alot easier and (as you don't know them) but less inpersonal.
    8. Make sure you do a lesson plan for the interview session and it can be a good idea to bring along SOW/other lesson plans/activites you have designed so you can talk about them and use them as examples in the formal interview.
    9. For the formal part of the interview try to be as relaxed as possible and think about your body language (don't cross arms etc). This is a great way to assess how you cope under pressure and in teaching you will need this!
    10. In the interview lesson they will normally pick out the best kids so I shouldn't imagine you will get any behaviour issues. But if you do keep calm at all times and try to get the student back on task. If you can't do this then don't be afraid to follow through with the school policies. ALTHOUGH I seriously couldn't see anything like that happening in an interview lesson. If it did it would be a sure sign that the kids have no respect for management (that they would do that when they have been selected for this task) and there is no way I would be taking a job there.

I have some files that can be used to design good plenary activites - who want's to be a millionaire (although this takes longer), blockbusters, domino for matching terms etc. If you want copies of these then send me a PM.

Good Luck!

5. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

Just want to say thanks for all your words of advice and to let you know that i got the job. start in september. im so excited. :D :D :D :D

6. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Well done :clap: Good luck with it, hope it all goes well :biggrin:

7. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

well done and good luck! :biggrin::tup

8. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Excellent! Well done!