First Female Players

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SilverBrass, Feb 19, 2008.

1. T Winch

T Winch Member

My sister Val was the first female player in Sunderland Millfield SA band
  2. Highams

Highams Member

Hanwell had many young ladies in its ranks. Back in the 60's Barbara Stone was on solo cornet, then conductor as well. Eileen Lock (O'Sullivan then) was also on cornet from her school days.

Later we had both Lynda Nicholson and Elaine Wolff as lead cornets working together plus Beverly Vaughan on solo horn with sister Nicola on cornet.

Others included Barbara Mealin (principal cornet), Janine Tunks, Maggie Croft, Karen Shackleton (cornets), Karen Williams (solo horn) & Linda Hobbs, tuba.

Probably many more I've left out too.

winning Leicester contest with Ian Johnson; Bands/?action=view&current=leics1.jpg
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I think KSB had it's first female player in the early 1970's. She (cannot recall her first name) was the eldest daughter of front row cornet player Ted Barker and sister of John Barker (he later moved to Rhodian Brass and subsequently became a professional trumpet player.)

I think she went on to be a music teacher.

Not really much of a problem to the band at the time as it consisted of about 10 old guys and a couple of whippersnapers (me included). Today the band has equal numbers of female and male players.
  4. stueyb

stueyb New Member

I've found it very interesting reading through the various comments about the 'first' female players. particularly as the MD of the original all-female brass band, Trinity Girls. They were formed in 1959 and began contesting (I believe) in the 1960s.

Members of the band will tell you that they raised a number of eyebrows at the time (1960s & 1970s) and did so for some time as they were the only band with a full complement of female players!!

The band works very hard to retain this unique status, even against the odds in the current banding climate where both male and female players are hard to come by.
  5. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

Come to think of it, a couple of girls from Trinity Girls Band were in the NYBB in the early 1960's.
    A BBb player called Dorothy Johnson, and cornet player called Madeline Aspinal.
    - Wilkie
    PS. I think we contested against TGB at Thameside last year.
  6. paddo

paddo Member

not sure who was the first female player but I do remember the first thing i noticed when I went for an audition at Brodsworth in the early 80's. The female audition part was out of this world, unplayable but the male one was just a few long notes!! not sure they would get away with that today???

Up until then there had been none at brody, I know there was one just after that on cornet and she played at aceprint shortly after finishing.

Joss, my wife would have shoved it right where the sun don't shine! and right too.....
  7. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

This jogged another long lost memory for me. A girl who played principal cornet for my school band at Harrogate (Shirley Ellis I think) who also played at NYBBGB went on to play with the Ivy Benson Band (all girl Dance Band) back in the late 60's.
  8. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

That audition sheet has been pinned up on nearly every bandroom wall I have ever seen, it's hilarious. The female part is deliberately impossible and the male part is the hymn tune Abide with Me. Fantastic! :p
  9. iancwilx

iancwilx Well-Known Member

Barbara Stone (Nee Chew) was also a tutti Solo Cornet with the NYBBGB in the '60's.
    I think she originally came from Dorchester.
    - Wilkie
  10. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

Me and a girl called Julie Harcourt were the 1st girls in Ransomes band back in 1985 I was 3rd "man" down and she was 4th, and we took a bit of stick!!! but we gave it back too!!:clap:
  11. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

Surely not Shazza!? You being so demure and wallflower like?! Only kidding. Missing you! See you soon.

12. Hornblower RN

Hornblower RN Member

We had a girl playing with Ogmore Valley Silver back in the late 40s when I joined the band. Her name was Joan Gould....her father Harry played on the top end. She was the first female to play in the band as far as I know.
  13. Jacob Larsen

Jacob Larsen Member

Not quite true... As a member YES.... But Lynda Nicholson played principal with Black Dyke Mills Band on The 2nd Gregson recording :)
  14. Anonymous_user

Anonymous_user New Member

Lynda was not a full time member....she was just helping out on that CD. Lesley was the first Full time member.
  15. SilverBrass

SilverBrass New Member

Any idea who were the first in the likes of Cory/Leyland etc? More recent I assume.

AEHOWGATE Member

Leyland's first female was a fine percussionist called Sarah. Can't recall her last name tho!
  17. weenie

weenie Member

If I remember it was Sarah Wood (not that I'm a boc or anything)! Good percussionist she was too, wonder what she's doing now?

I'm all for females in banding, though there is a distinctly different atmosphere in all male bands. ;-)
  18. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

The mind boggles. lol
  19. weenie

weenie Member

Thanks Alex!! lol. I'll just go and find myself a shovel!!!
  20. omega56

omega56 Member

Whilst playing with the York Railway Institute Band in the late sixties early seventies The principal Cornet player was a Lady called Grace Pratt (formerley Dinsdale) who I believe was the first female to play for this band and Yorks other prominent band Rowntree Works band back in the mid 1950s