First Female Players

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by SilverBrass, Feb 19, 2008.

1. SilverBrass

SilverBrass New Member

The number of all-male bands is decreasing.

But who were the first female players?

Lesley Howie became the first female player of Black Dyke in 1999, and Rebecca Crawshaw for Faireys in 2004.

How about other bands?

And when will Brighouse and Grimethorpe get their first female players?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Val
    Sunderland Millfield SA
    Female Players
    sister Val
    Sunderland Millfield SA band
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

When I joined Leeds Model Band in 1961, the 1st Horn player was Deliah Hodgson who I believe married John Berryman.
    She was the only female player in the area.
    The NYBBGB in 1961 had 102 lads and 8 girls - the competition was intense !!
    Times have definitely changed for the better.
    - Wilkie

4. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

Lisa Grimshaw was the first female member of the GUS Band (it was the Rigid Container Band at the time).She joined early in 1989 shortly after the band last won the British Open

Mike
    Virtuosi GUS Band

5. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

Linda Cook was a member of the EVer Ready Band in the early seventies ( she is still there by the way.)

Surley she was one of the 1st female players in the top bands

6. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

Vanda Spence (trombone) was the first female to join The International Staff Band. I'm not sure of the year but I think it must have been the early 1990s.

She subsequently went on to join the New York Staff Band but I don't think she was the first female in that band.

7. AEHOWGATE

AEHOWGATE Member

Linda Nicholson and the Withington twins (Christine and Gillian) joined Foden's in 1985.

8. dyl

dyl Active Member

We believe that The Deiniolen Silver Band was the first Band in Wales to have a female player - Gwyneth Jones, who played with the Band in 1929.

9. sunshine

sunshine Member

Not, actually members - but Brighouse & Rastrick will be performing on stage with female players in the joint concert between them and all girl band 'Boobs & Brass' in October. You never know it could lead to something .....

www.boobsandbrass.com

10. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I would have thought Betty Anderson was one of the first female players. She was definitely winning solo competitions during the 1940's.

Edit:

Taken from A Musical and Social History by Trevor Herbert

"In March, 1938 a slow melody contest at Dinnington in South Yorkshire was won by 13 year old cornet player Grace Cole of Firbeck Colliery Band, with 8 year old Betty Anderson of Leicester Imperial Band in 3rd place."

;)

11. leisa

leisa Active Member

You'll be lucky it takes em all their time to let us on the coach ;)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Val
    Sunderland Millfield SA
    Female Players
    sister Val
    Sunderland Millfield SA band
  13. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I once asked a committee member of a male only band why they didnt accept women. He stated that it was a mineworkers band and women dont work in mines so they shouldnt be in the band. (I laughed heartily because he had never been near a pit in his life)
    There are plenty of quality bands that do accept women and I'm fine with that. If these guys dont want women in their band I'm happy to leave them to it. :)

14. leisa

leisa Active Member

It irritates me, i don't get it! I get shouted at if i mention it at home though :frown:

15. vickyrowlands

vickyrowlands New Member

It annoys me too!! What makes men better players, we're just as good! And it gives men that little bit of an extra chance of getting into a championship band...wheres the justice in that!!

Sorry for the rant!!!!!!

16. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Rise above it girls. It isn't important. There is a wide variety of good bands out there for you to play in.

17. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I remember being amazed back in the early 70's when playing with several top section bands, at the attitude of bands and women. I was playing in the NYBBGB at the time and there were some great female players (sitting on top seats) yet it shames me to recall that women were even banned from travelling on the band bus in one great Yorks. band. They were transported in the "meat wagon". Dark days that should be well and truly behind us.

18. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

Here, here....

19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Barbara Steadman-Allen (R S-A's daughter, and a fine trombone player) ruffled a few feathers when, as a student, she turned up at the all-male Birmingham Citadel and took her place in the band. When I spent a few months there in 1979 they had a female student from Bristol playing bass, but it wasn't until several years later that Marion Parker became the first bandswoman actually commissioned at the Corps.

20. markyboy

markyboy Member

Just for the record as there are a few YBS players on the forum ( and have contributed to this post ) the first female player at Hammonds ( which we all know became YBS ) was a school friend of mine called Rachael Gledhill who was a percussionist .

There was total uproar when she came along to play alongside her tutor of the time Jim Morgan around 1981 .

She was only 14 at the time but since then went on to play with the London Philharmonic ................ nuff said .

21. joker66

joker66 Member

22. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

The two episodes aren't connected in anyway are they?;)