First experience of Whits!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by groovy, May 22, 2007.

1. groovy

groovy Active Member

I'm very excited!!
    Travelling down south next week for my first ever Whit Friday, a friend of a friend has managed to get my brother and I a couple of bands to guest with, after reading so much about it on tMP I have always wanted to go. Next year I will try and sign up for tMP band but I was too late this time.
    Anyhoo, can anyone tell me a bit more about what I am letting myself in for? :biggrin:
  2. Di

Di Active Member

OK, here's about how it goes:

Arrive at first planned village, send "runner" to book the band into the queue.
    Get instruments/lyres/music all ready.

Wait your turn (having a chat to other waiting bandsmen, possibly having something to eat or drink)

Your band gets called, you line up, double tap on the drum and you're away, marching down the street. In some villages there is a point where you are asked to stop playing so not as to interfere with the band on the contest platform, but you'll be told about that before you start.

Arrive at contest platform, set up band formation, play march.

Leave contest platform and attempt to find your bus (it's not always where you left it ;) ), get back on, complete with instruments, drive to the next village and do it allllll over again.

Repeat until exhausted/contests close/band too drunk to stand up. :tongue:;)

Lots of fun, lots of laughs, meet lots of people, fantastic atmosphere. Basically, should be something you won't forget in a hurry. :biggrin:
  3. Veri

Veri Member

Thanks Di - I found that post helpful as I'm also new to the Whits experience - my sole knowledge is from Brassed Off which isn't terribly helpful!! Still, it's still the best way of explaining to people quite what I'm doing on the first weekend in June...
  4. Di

Di Active Member

I'm sure you'll have lots more to tell them when you get back. Have a good day. :)
  5. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

I've been going to Whit Friday since I was born so it seems weird to me that people don't know what it's all about! It's just always been there. Even weirder is that my friends from work (about 5miles from nearest contest) have never even heard of it and think i'm joking when I book a day off so that I can get home in time to get ready for the bus! :)
    As Di says, you won't forget it in a hurry and you'll want to do it over and over again! It's an experience to say the least!
    Enjoy it and just go with the flow!
    Speaking from experience.. make sure you've got someone's mobile number who'll be on the bus! lol you'll see what i mean!
    HAHA! Have fun!

If you're really brave and you've got a hotel for the Saturday night as well, do the Beer Walk! Your feet won't even hurt because of all the beer you drink on the way round!
  6. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Di... you forgot to add...

"Stop and talk to various bandsmen and women at points for "tMP Whits Experience" Podcast" :)
  7. tillie

tillie New Member

We did Whit Friday for the first time last year, 95% of the band had never even marched before. Had a really great time, got totally drunk (after playing of course!) even got a couple of placings, and started planning this year on the way home. See you on Friday! What is the beer walk ,tell me more,-- we could be staying for 2 days next year!!!
  8. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Beer Walk is on the Saturday. You pay a nominal fee to enter and they have a theme this year it's "Pirate of the Carr-a-beer-can" all fancy dress, and you start off in Greenfield and walk around loads of different Saddleworth Villages (eleven miles) stopping at 16(i think) pubs having half a pint of beer at each one.
    And it's all for charity - how many people can say they got sponsored to get pi$$ed for charity?! lol try :)
    Best Charity event you can do as far as I'm concerned lol!
    Last edited: May 22, 2007
  9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

You shouldve joined us on Tartan Brass, Whit Friday's only kilt wearing, Scottish Band!!!
  10. englishgill

englishgill Member

Brassed Off is a reasonable accurate representation - formation peeing against the wall is optional and not compulsory however!
  11. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

i cant wait til whit friday now :) only a week and 2 days to go!!!!
  12. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

Me too Vic! My first Whit Friday in seven years!

Apparently my Beer Walk link didn't work so here it is again
  13. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Fi Fi Fi!!! We should go! After all, we do already have the costumes for it! :biggrin:

It's my second Whit Friday experience this year...and we'll be going up nice and early for the morning processions, and playing with the tMP band in the looks like I'm going to be even more tired than last year...!! But it'll be worth it, I'm sure! :biggrin:
  14. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Blimey Liz - twice in a week eh :) See ya there!
  15. bigne

bigne New Member

Here we go again!

Over 20 years in banding and this is only my second whit friday - shocking really.
    Last year was my first visit helping Langley Band. I ****** loved it!
    Can't wait - 8 days to go! Already working on getting a good stomach lining down!
  16. HBB

HBB Active Member

Woo... just been to town to buy my costume for this year's whits! it's amazing! :)
  17. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

Are we allowed to know what it is Ben?
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

Haha..... Nope :px
  19. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Let me guess - you're either going dressed as a bus driver, or a 19th century soldier. Well that's what nearly everyone else will be wearing...:rolleyes: ;)
  20. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

See you there Ben.