First Aid

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Charmed, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

During my shopping trip this morning, unfortunately a man had what turned out to be some kind of seizure. He collasped on the floor in the middle of the shop. At first people rushed over, then backed off. Someone asked if there was a doctor or nurse in the shop, when no-one came forward, it was asked if anyone knew first aid, again no-one came forward. Eventually, a couple of staff came over to see if they could help the man.

The point I am getting to is how many of us actually know first aid, and could help in a situation like this. I was one of the many who just stood around not knowing what to do and eventually carried on with my business, once the situation appeared in control. It left me feeling quite vulnerable and my thoughts turned to my family and what I would do if anything happened like this at home. Panic, is all I could think of. Then I wondered why First Aid is not taught in schools. If everyone had a basic knowledge and understanding of this, then what happened today may not cause as much panic. Instead of people standing around looking uncomfortable and feeling rather helpless, we may have been able to offer the man and his family more support. What do you think?

By the way, the ambulance arrived and the man was conscious and could talk, so hopefully he and his family will be able to enjoy the New Year.
  2. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Couldn't agree more! First Aid training should be on the curriculum, it's far more important than some of the other garbage taught these days! I've used my first aid kit and skills many times over the years both on and off duty, treating everything from heart attacks to serious gunshot wounds. Even the very basics can save life and you can't really make matters much worse for the victim. Rescue breathing is the least you should know. ;)
  3. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I've done the St. John Ambulance First aid at work course. Thankfully, I've only ever had to do use some minor first aid on an unconscious drunk person. I had to take the course for my job so the company paid for my time and for doing the course :)
  4. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

as i teach P.E i have my first aid qualification. However it is when you get the qualfication that things become more complicated.

By holding a first aid qualifation you are bound to help should you come across a situation where help is needed, but also then by helping you leave yourself open to being sued by the injured party if anything that you do courses problems in the future.
    or at least thats how i understand it.

Changes are desperately need within this area, most community college offer first aid course to students but you then have to attend a refresher course every 2 - 3 years.

A very difficult area.
  5. jonford

jonford Member

We did have someone come to my high school who offered a first aid course. I took up this but this was taken probably over 5 years ago now. I would not know what to do these days but it is difficult beeing a student to find the time to re-knew it and do it again!
  6. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm one of 6 designated first aiders at work but the worst I've had to deal with so far is a reasonable bleed...but it was on the palm of a hand and dead easy to deal with. sterile pad, elevate it, sit him down, ring the ambulance and fill in the accident book with him while the ambulance arrived.
    Not so sure how I'd do if I came accross someone fitting, although make sure the area is safe for him and if possible try to keep him still is one of the first things to do while sending someone for an ambulance.

I agree tho, basic first aid training should be made more available to people at school's the sort of basic stuff that could quite literally mean the difference between life and death. Just knowing how to properly put someone in the recovery position (and knowing when it's appropriate) would be so useful to so many people.
  7. Fitzy's GF

Fitzy's GF Active Member

At my school we had to do First Aid in Year 9 it was a compuksory part of the curriculim, however there is no way I could remember any if it to put into practise now.

Just the other day I was trying to remind myself of the DR CPR that we were taught.

Like lausonbass said though you do open yourself up to being sued if you help and cause damage accidentially or even if the person decides that they didn't want to be resucitated.

Makes it hard.
  8. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Don't get carried away with the 'being sued' bit, we are not America, yet. It has been held in court that if you are trying to help and doing something that a reasonable person would do, you are OK. If you tried a Chrico Thoracic Stab (spelling probably wrong there) you may find you have a problem, unless trained to do it. :)
    (Resus usually breaks a rib or two)

I used to explain to students that if the subject wasn't breathing and had no pulse, they were dead! So whatever they did couldn't make matters worse. Resus was/is performed to try to keep the brain alive, so that when proper medical help could provide drugs shocks etc. there could be life to revive.
  9. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

i feel this is the major reason why there is a lack help in those sorts of situations - sad but true!
  10. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

The main thing I got taught in the various First Aid courses I did was that if you start the resucitation process then you do not stop until a medically trained person takes over. If you can't find a pulse but you decide to try mouth-to-mouth then you are obliged to keep it going.
  11. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

we were taught the recovery position in year 2! that was waaaaaaaay back in primary school. at which point i realised that i slept in the recovery position, so if anything was to happen during the night, i was already in the recovery position.

i agree.. we get taught aload of absolute rubbish that doesnt help in life really in schools. i can see why they teach it though, to give people a variety of choices for what they want to do after school, but alot of it i didnt see any relevance to everyday life. if it was compulsory to do first aid classes every week in school, i can see the relevance to everyday life. i think they should bring first aid classes into schools, as you never know when you might need it!
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Not always! A guy had a heart attack next to me when we were about to umpire a hockey match together. I did the CPR and a nurse did the breathing bit. 45 minutes later when an ambulance arrived, they asked me to continue, as I was doing a good job, while they sorted out the Hearstart machine and the drugs. I only stopped for the 'stand clear' bit and then they got me to carry on in the Ambulance all the way to hospital. Sadly my efforts had been in vain and poor old Peter was pronounced dead. I still get a Christmas card from his widow, even after 10 years. :(
  13. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

All the teachers in my school have done an Emergency First Aid for Teachers course but I believe mine may well run out quite soon....I think it was valid for three years or so but I may be wrong. I also did First Aid certificates with the St John Ambulance when in school (Year 9 I think) and we had a visit from Grange Hill characters everyone was really interested in it but that was about 13 years ago...I don't know how many schools still do this. I have only had to deal with anything apart from the odd cut (last one Thursday when my dad fell down in the snow!!!).
  14. 1alexm

1alexm Member

in gsce history i am learning about how health and medicine changed through history and apart form that i have no medical knowledge what-so-ever.
    i think children at school should at least get a lecture or something when near my age(14).
    or parents that know about fisrt aid should teach it.
  15. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I couldn't agree more that First Aid should be taught as part of the curriculum. I did some training when I was younger, at the village Red Cross group. However, the instructors moved on and there was nowhere else to go. I would really like to pick up where I left off; there is a course run by uni but it's quite expensive and unfortunately it can't come very high on my priorities list - food etc.!

I think it would be a good idea if there were free courses around the country that people can attend, as after all it could prove life or death.
  16. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

OK maybe I wasn't clear, I meant you carry on until a medically trained person comes on the scene and takes charge of the situation, which could involve you carrying on or them taking over.

My training wasn't civilian but with the Royal Navy so I don't know if there are any procedural differences
  17. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

A friend of my mother's (who is a physio and therefore up to speed on First Aid) was at the scene of an RTA a few years ago. She did CPR on a girl that someone else had already got out of the car. The girl suffered problems with a back injury and her family tried to sue my mum's friend even though she wasn't the one who got her out of the car. I believe their lawyer told them not to be stupid and to back off (not in so many words presumably) and nothing came of it. The friend did say she'd now think twice before helping out again if that was going to be the result.
    Is it still the case that if you're a fully paid up member of St John you are covered by their insurance for things like that?

No, not as far as I know, the Red Cross did recommend a brand of 3rd party liability insurance to my course a few years ago though. I think for first aid at work you are covered by work insurance as you are doing things on their behalf but in a public situation you are not covered.

I was a Cub leader for years and we taught first aid every couple of years so they all had a good grounding in it, it was something myself & my Dad considered really important, but how much any of them remember now from when they were 8-10 years old I don't know! Also the rules and methods seem to have changed everytime I do a refresher course.
  19. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

I am currently doing my PGCE and was thinking about first aid the other day. I was thinking to myself, what would i do if one of the children in my class had some sort of attack or started choking on something. Im really not good with blood so if someone was to cut themselves i dont really know what i would do.
    At the moment i dont have to time to do any course in first aid but am seriously going to consider it for when i finish my PGCE.
    It really should be taught in schools and I think it should have to be a requirement for teachers when it is them that is in charge of around 30 children at one time.