Fireworks rage

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by ju33les, Nov 4, 2005.

1. ju33les

ju33les Member

I know that I mentioned this last year, and possibly the year before, but WHAT DO THEY GET OUT OF LETTING OFF SUB-NUCLEAR EXPLOSIONS IN THE NAME OF GUY FAWKES??????

Outside our residence at the moment it sounds like we are in a war zone:mad:

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a family bonfire/firework display, but this is flippin' ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!! This is lads/ladettes letting them off willy-nilly in the street/public areas.

If it was up to me the fireworks/bangers would be inserted deep inside...preferably sideways!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    IN THE NAME OF
    GUY FAWKES
    fireworks
    areas
    Fireworks rage
  3. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I agree, fireworks are a complete nuisance. I don't mind them on bonfire night, but it's far too easy to get hold of them. There are some complete idiots who sit in the park across the road from my school around this time of year and aim fireworks at each other. Last year a year 7 girl got hit in the face by some sparks from a rocket (it only just missed her) and had to have a skin graft. This week we've had 3 fire drills from having fireworks shoved down the toilets. Teachers are searching bags, but people are still managing to sneak into school with them. They should be restricted to official displays only. There are enough idiots in the world without supplying them with explosives :ranting2:

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Did any towns have their fireworks display tonight instead of tomorrow, 05/11? :eek:

5. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I like fireworks :D they are pretty :D my doggy likes fireworks too, but then he's strange.... he does wear glasses....

6. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

The Richard Hammond thing about Guy Fawkes the other night surprised me in two ways;

a) Just how massive the explosion would have been if he wasn't caught
    b) The fact that the most explosive firework available to buy over the counter is 20,000 times less powerful that what Fawkes' explosion would have been. I'd have honestly thought that fireworks would have been a lot less powerful than that having seen the explosion, but it goes to prove just how dangerous they can be in the wrong hands.

Even in my lifetime of 22 years, Bonfire Night, along with events like Halloween and Valentines Day have become a massive commercial exercise with shops stocking vast amounts of goods for the weeks beforehand. That's why all the fireworks have been going off over the past fortnight or so from the bored youth of this country. As the shops can make masses amounts of money from these people, of course they are going to stock fireworks earlier and earlier to get as much trade from them as possible.
    Fireworks are hideously dangerous like Hanna said, but for kids roaming the street with nothing to do, it's a risky bit of fun for them. They don't appreciate how much damage they can actually do, not only to them, but innocent people who happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
    To be honest, I cannot see why the majority of Joe Public buys fireworks. They can spend the same amount of money to take the family to a professional display which is a lot safer and much more spectacular. They also benefit deserving charities and organisations, not the pockets of some of Britain's biggest companies.

7. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

not a fan ever since about 3 years ago some little s***head fried one down a road that was running perpendicular to the road I was walking on and it exploded about 1 metre from my face....I was not a happy bunny and was certainly a very scared bunny!

8. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

I really dont see the point of people setting them off in the daytime - what a waste of money!

9. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

For some time now I've advocated restricting fireworks to organised (and probably licensed) displays. If they are going to have them on general sale, I think they should restrict the time-period. Equally, I've never known so much advertising for fireworks, with even major chains offering "buy one, get one free", which seems ridiculous.

10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- mind you, with the price of fireworks these days you would be lucky even with this offer to get value for money. I do think that home bonfires and displays are not as popular as they were a few years back. I have fond memories of baking potatoes in the embers of the fire as a kid.

11. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

We had a firework chucked on the bandroom roof once. We had to evactuate... I thought children werent allowed to buy them?

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    IN THE NAME OF
    GUY FAWKES
    fireworks
    areas
    Fireworks rage
  13. NeilW

NeilW Member

There was a comment on the radio that "celebrating" Guy Fawkes night could be construed as "glorifying terrorism" under the government's new laws....

I gather its going to be a bit of a wash-out tonight in most parts of the country....

Neil.

14. Janet Watkins

Janet Watkins Member

IMHO people who buy fireworks have money to burn.

Why don't they just set fire to £10 notes and it will be a lot quieter for all of us!

I shall enjoy the local rugby club (100m away) display this evening from the warmth and comfort of my sitting room:biggrin:

15. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

the people a couple of doors down are having them and theyre loud :|

16. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i love em!
    at the right time and place they are stunning, infact earlier this year we went to see the GB firework championshils in plymouth. 6 huge displays set over two days, brilliant!

our cat is sat in the window atthe mo, absolutely rievetd to the displays outside!!!

17. Di

Di Active Member

Oooh we went to that a couple of years ago. Fantastic stuff! Never seen the likes of before or after. Can hear a few going off outside now, but won't be able to go to a display tonight as we're just off out to a band do. :(

18. groovy

groovy Active Member

Theres not too much here thankfully but my dog is cowering under the table anyway.

19. ju33les

ju33les Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

We have just endured over 4 hours of explosions and loud cackling whoosing noises.....

.......... and it's still going on!!!! :mad:

20. ScaryFlugel

ScaryFlugel Member

Our cat (Basil the Brave) is sat behind the settee salivating with fear and doing a more than passable imitation of a rug. He's really scared!

Sybil the Stupid however hasn't actually twigged that anything unusual is happening and is sitting looking gormless on the chair arm. Crumbs, she's so brave.

21. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Well, as shown on Frank Skinner on Thursday night, there is a CD available which is advertised as a four week course for pets to get them used to the Bonfire Night festivities. Basically, it is just a CD containing fireworks noises!!

22. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Well I live in halls right in the centre of Salford and there's been fireworks going off somewhere for about 5 hours....I have to pinch myself to remember I'm not in Baghdad! :biggrin: