Firefox screwed up!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Brian Bowen, May 25, 2005.

1. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

Since the recent fuss over the security issue with Firefox, I downloaded the Java patch - but later downloaded the latest version of Firefox. Since then, Firefox doesn't work properly on any website. I've not been able to use the tMP functions as previously. For example, I used to have my Message Editor Interface set on "Enhanced Interface" but that no longer lets me quote a previous message and write new text. I can quote and write new text if I change the MEI to "Standard Editor" but then I can't use bold, Italics, colour, or emoticons.

On my browser options I've checked both "Enable Java" and "Enable Javascript".

Has anyone else had these problem, or know how to fix it?

(Since making a similar download on her computer, my wife has also had to switch from Firefox back to IE, as everything has got screwed up.)

Mods: I posted this yesterday by mistake in the games thread, so hardly anyone read it!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Firefox
    Java
    tMP
    Enable Java
    Standard Editor
  3. rutty

rutty Active Member

There's a Java patch???

Sorry Brian, not had any of these problems with Firefox at all, and I have no idea why it's broken. Might be an idea to remove then reinstall it?

4. Brian Bowen

Thanks Rutty.

I've tried (twice) uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling 1.0.4. but the result shows absolutely no change. Everything is just as it was (all my bookmarks are the same and the theme I'd previously downloaded is still there) - it's all still screwed up! It seems the uninstaller doesn't clear it out, even though it says it has.

I'm running on Windows XP; to be able to write this message I've had to revert to Internet Explorer. I really liked Firefox, so did my wife but she has the identical problem on her own computer too.

Computers......:mad:

5. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

I would suggest that it's the Java patch that may be causing your trouble. Are you sure you have the right runtime environment, as there are several flavours.

6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Did you try uninstalling both Firefox and the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), reinstalling Firefox and then reinstalling Java ?

Did you check the Firefox support forum? Here it is: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38 Before asking your questions, try to look first if somebody else posted a similar question before. I used to have a Firefox problem in combination with my Panda Antivirus software, and I solved it with help from this forum!

7. Brian Bowen

I did not find a question like mine on the forum. If it was there, then it's probably couched in computer language I don't understand. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling umpteen times. I deleted my complete Mozilla profile and only once did I find Java in my list of programs and uninstalled that too. Although the theme I'd chosen has finally gone, I see that all my bookmarks remain -- even having deleted them with my profile.

The bottom line is Firefox still dosen't work properly for me on any website. It was fine while it worked but frustration and the waste of time force me to drop it now. I need a computer and its programs to be the means to an end, not the end itself. After this experience, IE works reasonably well. Thanks everyone who tried to help me.