Firefox - BBCode

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by davidsait, Jul 13, 2004.

1. davidsait

davidsait Member

If you're a Mozilla Firefox user (and by the way, I would recommend that everyone should be :) ), you might want to check out this handy extension that will make formatting messages on themouthpiece.com easier.

2. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Well said. Though I already have this plugin. Have you got the FireSomething one? I'm currently using Mozilla FireWombat...!

3. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Oho, nice useful plugin, I like

4. davidsait

davidsait Member

I'm currently on Mozilla Waterworm :)

5. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Can someone explain to me what Mozilla is (a browser me thinks?) and it's advantages over other things... :roll: Cheers...

6. davidsait

davidsait Member

It is indeed a web browser, and, in my and many other peoples opinion, it is far superior to Internet Explorer.

Try this for starters.

Basically I prefer it for its speed, tabbed browsing, and popup blocking. Since I've started using Firefox I haven't seen a single popup, unless I told it I wanted to.

7. winterman

winterman Member

I trust you have all updated to Mozilla Moonwhale 0.92 or got the security patch (the only one ever found which is not bad for open source) 8)

Also check out the Thunderbird email client from Mozilla.. Built in Junk Filtering etc and a hell of a lot more stable than Outlook Express Crash Edition.

Hmm.. thought.. new project idea!! Build a search engine plugin for TMP.. hmm.. tasty!

<Scurries off to d/l specs for search engine facility.. />

Mike Tyler
    Drighlington Band

8. davidsait

davidsait Member

Yep, but surely you mean Mozilla PowerShark? :)

I've been tempted, but I'm currently tied in to Outlook with calendering as well so I've not gotten around to it. I'm not too bothered about Junk Filtering as since I bought my own domain name and started giving out unique email addresses I've stopped receiving spam.

Why stop there? Why not a full TMP browser bar, similar to the google bar with search options, but also hotlinks to PMing, Login/out, Search for New Posts, Post new message, etc?

9. aimee_euph

aimee_euph Member

it looks pretty!

10. winterman

winterman Member

tMP Search Plugin for Firefox/Mozilla/Nets - BETA 1 Released

Hope the Mods don't mind me posting this but I think it a valuable addition to the community.

Well I finally found a couple of minutes to sit down and play with this (I was actually doing one for something else at work and thought what the heck!)

Beta 1 of the "unofficial" tMP Search plugin for Mozilla/Firefox/Netscape 6+ is now available at http://www.drighlingtonband.co.uk/tmpsearch.

Currently it only supports searching in the main window but I will add the Sidebar Search and other features once I get chance.

Now just to get back to writing the flaming band website!!!!

Enjoy and let me know what you think.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    everyone
    extension
    themouthpiece.com
    user
    Firefox - BBCode
  12. davidsait

davidsait Member

Just tried it - very nice - look forward to seeing more features!

13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Another nice firefox extension is "single window". All links that would normally open a new window (like all links on tMP) will be opened in a new tab, instead of a new window.

14. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

Of, course, this effect can be achieved by a simple middle click, for those who like the option....

15. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

ok, so I don't really know what you're talking about, and it's not like I can go around changing the software at work anyway... but this stuff does seem to have some really cool names!

16. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Of course, I know. But I like this "single window mode" anyhow. Most of the time I'm too lazy to move my finger from the left mouse button to the little mousewheel for clicking a link :) :wink:
    (by the way, for those of you who don't use Firefox and who don't know what tabbed browsing is: you don't know what you're missing. It's great! Especially when you're visiting tMP or similar bulletin boards)

Another Firefox extension that I have, is the one that automatically back-ups your bookmarks. With an earlier version of firefox, I twice lost all of my bookmarks during a windows crash...

17. winterman

winterman Member

Coo ta David :D

Was thinking of maybe extending a second version after this to include all the major brass band websites (tMP, 4Bars etc) in one search that would be cool.

Anyone want to design a 16x16 icon for it BTW??

Mike Tyler