Firefox 1.0 is here!!!

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by TheMusicMan, Nov 9, 2004.

1. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

[IMGLEFT][/IMGLEFT]FireFox 1.0 Released

The time is finally here; Firefox 1.0 - one of, if not the the best browser ever to hit the web was scheduled for release on 9th Nov and - true to form - it has just been released and is labelled version 1.0: FireFox.

You can get it now from - but you will have to join the millions of others who are also attempting to download the applciation at the same time.

"Firefox empowers you to browse faster, more safely, and more efficiently than with any other browser."

Normally I wouldn't inform this as tMP news, but heck, as it seems many of us use Firefox over Internet Explorer already, and it is a great Open Source product... I think it fits here just fine!
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  2. davidsait

davidsait Member

Yay for Firefox!

If you're not sure why you should switch from using Internet Explorer, have a look here .
  3. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

tried it yesterday, couldn't get any plugins to download....
  4. TheMusicMan

Probably because the servers were delivering millions of downloads... the release date has been know for a while.

Keep trying, I have managed to get the skin I have been using for a while from the themes site today.
  5. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I had no idea what is was, but thought I'd get it because it was free.....It's much faster than internet explorer, very impressed. Thanks for sharing John!
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

One day, and you' ll no longer be able to live (or at least surf) without tabbed browsing, popup blocking, find as you type, ...
    It's great!
  7. horn1

horn1 Member

I thought I'd try it 'cos it was free too! I love it! I don't think I can live without it now.......
    anything else good from mozilla I should try???
  8. TheMusicMan

Honestly folks... there is no comparison at all between IE and Firefox... Firefox is simply streets ahead. You get tabbed browsing - something that will be a totally new experience to IE users, you can change the theme, add additional applications such as mouse gestures and document managers... it is far better.

For example, I have a mouse gesture extension installed which allows me to use a combination of holding the right mouse button down and moving the mouse to carry out certain tasks. I can open a new window by holding right button and moving down, I can go back a page by holding right mouse and moving left, forward by right mouse and moving right etc.... I can type 'tmp' in the address bar and get to here... it really is far better.

Go on... try it... you can get for free from here or click the logo
  9. C_P

C_P New Member

I use it an LOVE it.
  10. HBB

HBB Active Member

I can't believe how much faster everything is now with firefox!

Well done tMM! :)
  11. TheMusicMan

As I said, Firefox is really streets ahead of IE....
  12. I have briefly tried Firefox and to be honest - it doesn't seem any quicker than IE. I have an NTL broadband connection.

How does "tabbed browsing" differ from having an IE icon on the task bar at the bottem of the monitor, and using this to open multiple windows on IE??

I am not being critical of Firefox - it just seems like I have missed the point somewhere.......
  13. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

Hiya - well I have 4 pages set as my home page, so when I open Firefox, I automatically get tMP, my gmail, and a couple of other pages. Instead of 4 instances of my browser appearing and having to switch between them I can have them all in one window. (I can have as many as I like just these are my default ones). If I'm in tMP I can see that the title to the Gmail tab changes when mail comes in, so I don't have to keep checking it...

I find that it is faster, I have broadband, but if it's not faster for you, then I'm not going to argue. Each to her/his own :biggrin:
  14. Thanks for that reply Kirtsy - but how do you set four "home pages"?
  15. HBB

HBB Active Member

In tools >> options >> general >> homepage

type something like this:||||

all separated by |
  16. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

LOL - so that's why you were asking me, Ben! ;)

There's another way, save the bookmarks for the pages you want to be your home pages into a folder on their own, then instead of typing them all in, choose the folder by clicking on "use bookmark".. hey presto!
  17. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i think its brilliant, i had a few probs with pages not loading but all is fine now.
    chuffed to bits me!
  18. HBB

HBB Active Member

i've been won over to! :)
  19. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

over to the Dark Side?
  20. HBB

HBB Active Member

Damn right!