Finlandia with Chorus

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lynchie, May 5, 2007.

1. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Well, since my hymn tune search was such a success (thanks Steve Critchlow!) I thought I'd give it another go.

The University of Warwick Brass Band are hoping to perform Finlandia with the University Chamber Choir in a music festival at the end of June. As it's a one off performance, we were hoping to borrow the music temporarily, but so far I can't find anyone that has the full set with choir parts.

Does anyone know any bands that have played the full arrangement and might have it in their libraries still?

Cheers

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Steve Critchlow
    Chorus Well
    Finlandia
    University Chamber Choir
    University of Warwick Brass Band
  3. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

I'd be keen on this also as we have concert next year with Treorchy Male Choir and are thnking of doing it !!

4. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

We have the full 'Wright and Round' (?)/ Drake Rimmer (??) old arrangement of 'Finlandia' (the one every (?) band has). Wouldn't swear to it but I am fairly sure that it works with a choir (you might have to make some of the band play 'one on a part/ not at all at variouspoints though).

5. Scongie

Scongie Member

The Rimmer version works with Choir. Did it with treorchy comp school band and treorchy male voice many moons ago.

6. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

Thanks I'll dig it out..

7. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I played it with the massed bands at Symphony Hall last year with Steve Pritchard Jones conducting.He may still have the full score,or better still get in touch with West Mercia Police band.
    CubbRep..Repiano Cornet,4th section Midland Area Champion Band 2007.

8. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

Weston Brass performed this with the Landsker Singers at my Mother's memorial concert in 2005. This is a brass band arrangement, and the traditional Choral setting used is "Be Still my Soul", which, if the choir do not already have it in their library, is still obtainable on hire. The Landsker Singers sang in unison. I have never compared the choral setting with the original, but I would hazard a guess that the harmonies are the same. Finally, whenever I have heard a choir singing with orchestra or band, they have usually sung the final chord of the piece.

9. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

But, why would anyone want to do this? There are no choir parts in the original score, and there was no choir at the first performance (at least not according to the foreword to my Breitkopf & Härtel score). And the sentiments behind the text "Be Still, my Soul" whilst possibly worthy, have little to do with the political motivation behind Sibelius's music. I realise this sort of thing goes on all the time, but in this instance I feel quite strongly that Sibelius would probably not have approved ...

10. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

An alternative is to sing the patriotic Finish words, either in the original language, or the translation, (I myself have sung one of the translations, which begins, "Land of the free, and land of high endevour"). My brother has a Finish girlfriend, who tells me that this is sung more than the Finish National Anthem (a little like "Land of Hope and Glory" I suppose). Apparently, Sibelius was very honoured that his Country were so proud of him. In our own Country, "Be still my Soul" is well known, and could be classed as one of the popular classics.

11. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Played a couple of arrangements of Finlandia , Keith Griffin's arrangement is the best and most authentic to the original , am sure the NYBBW played it with Howard Snell in 1996 , I know the Trefor band used it on there American tour in 1997 it was on manuscript and am sure it was a SP&S publication.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Steve Critchlow
    Chorus Well
    Finlandia
    University Chamber Choir
    University of Warwick Brass Band
  13. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

I think there is also an arrangement by James Curnow, which is probably published by De Haske, or maybe held on file at SP&S.

With or without choir, a rattling good piece. Sibelius might not have approved of using a choir, but he is unlikely to voice his disapproval is he? :biggrin:

14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I know that he has scored a 'Prelude' on Finlandia's theme (complete soundfile here) and also the 'hymn' 'Be Still My Soul' for ensemble (available here). No sign of brass/choir arrangement though.