Finishers by Goff Richards

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ginge, Jan 29, 2004.

1. Ginge

Ginge Member

HMS Seahawk, a marine volunteer band, need a finisher written by Goff.

Does anyone know any good finishing pieces written by Goff Richards for either brass band or wind band?

Any ideas would be much appreciated, thankyou!

2. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Doyen springs to mind. Does it have to be a piece written or can it be arranged. Arrangements that spring to mind that are good 'finishers' are Let's Face the Music and Dance and James Bond Collection

3. Ginge

Ginge Member

Arrangements are fine! I'll look into those.
    Thanks dave.

4. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Another couple of original pieces, scored for both brass and wind band are:

Trailblaze

Stage Centre.

Stage Centre's more of an 'opener' I suppose, (as the title could well imply) but as I said, both are written for brass and wind band. Studio Music are the publishers. Perhaps Doyen is also in wind band format, don't know off the top of my head. Mr Bale? ;-)

5. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

We're doing a couple of good ones in Leyland just now...
    Bill Bailey (blaaaaa de blaaaaaah) springs to mind... good for percussion! :D

6. Aardvark

Aardvark Member

Isn't 'Songs of the Quay' one of Goff's (I may be wrong), but a nautical theme :D

7. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

Doyen is in wind band format, cos I've played it with a wind band!

Talking of Stage Centre, I once started that without the snares on! Took me a few years to live that one down!!!!! :D

8. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

Come off it Ginge, you've played loads of pieces by Goff. Are you trying to say that none of the finishers he's written/ arranged are any good? :? Didn't Sellers finish with one of his new arrangements at Spennymoor? Seemed to do alright for them. Some American piece apparently but can't say I know the name of it.

My advice is to remember to bring your music to band rehearsals to save any disappointment to the conductor when he looks to bring you in at a certain point in the piece!

Igg

9. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Have a look on the Just Music Web Site.

http://www.justmusicuk.com/

You'll be spoilt for choice!

:wink:

10. Ginge

Ginge Member

Well, yes i know i've played a few by Goff, but can't say ive played everything! So i was just wondering if anyone knew any pieces that i havn't played. Also, i can't remeber what it's all called! And i wasn't suggesting anything about Goff's composing/arranging.

As for remembering my music, that wasn't my fault. My fellow 2nd cornet played decided to take both parts home. :x

Thanks for all the ideas!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Goff Richards
    Goff Richards HMS Seahawk
    brass band
    marine volunteer band
    wind band
  12. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

I've got a full Wind Band score to Doyen in my hands. The Wind Band version is also published by Studio Music. Apparently the piece is written about a coach journey :!:

13. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

The Golden Lady. Cheese at it's best. Why does it have to be by Goff Richards though?? :?

14. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm not sure if it was a coach... but something on those lines! :D

15. horn1

horn1 Member

It was a bus - the DOYEN bus suprisingly :)

16. HBB

HBB Active Member

:D The Art Of Sarcasm lives! :D

17. iggmeister

iggmeister Member

I was lucky enough to be part of the premiere performance of The Godlen Lady when the Cornwall Youth Band p[layed it on their tour to Switzerland & Luxembourg in 1991-ish.

I was the distinguished 6th Second cornet player I'll have you know :wink:

Igg

18. Ginge

Ginge Member

I'm not entirely sure why it has to written by Goff. The whole programme has to be i think!

Congratulations Igg! I'm very proud!

19. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

"DOYEN was written to commemorate the launch of a new series of British motor coaches of the same name. The music deplics a long-distance journey aboard one of these luxury buses"

That is as it states on the score! Nothing to do with the Doyen recording mobile bus though is it? (please correct me if i'm wrong :D !)