"Finished twinkling silver cornet with box" ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by alks, Apr 14, 2006.

1. alks

alks Member

I thought i'd do a random post.............

Whenever i (& probably you) go randomly lookin for brass instruments on ebay or i just select the cornet only option ..over the last year or so junk from china practically fills up the entire page!
    But the best bit is the BIZZARE explanations on what the instrument is ........actullay its quite amusing at first....(apart from the £190 shipping fee), but it soon gets on your nerves.

A picture of a Euphonium..... Described as:

"Open refined French thick cornet!very good" ???

A cornet described as:

" Finished twinkling silver cornet with box " or "exquisite black cornet with white key" or "exquisite admirable very super clarino" or "Beautiful music tool brass cornet " or "Beautiful FW Pearl Necklace " or "graceful gules trumpet " or "Rare fair-sounding musical instrument clarion " or "fancy excellent exquisite silver high-class trumpet " or "Delicate Rare exquisite musical instrument horn " ?????????theres plenty more...

Its all very odd. Does anyone ever actually buy any of these instruments?

2. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

My Principal cornet at Radcliffe recently bought an 1/8 size cornet that came in beautiful pristine condition with gloves and all to play it with. Next Monday at band I'll ask him how much it cost and what it was described as.........
  3. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

I puzzled over this as well - especially the "Huge Tenor Horn Bugle" advertised the other day which further contained a description of "Most beautiful Violin" I was told that some of the odd language is due to translation programs that the chinese posters use. I've noticed the extreme low bid prices with huge shipping costs. I'd hope nonbody buys them, at least without some knowledge of what they're getting into.
  4. gawber

gawber Active Member

I've just come across a red pocket trumpet described as

'beautiful red music tool loudspeaker'

It is only 99p to buy but postage is £100 and £10 for insurance.

I bought my son a blue one for Christmas from a British ebayer, recommended to me by tMP's rutty. I won the auction for £71.01 and paid £9 p&p. The trumpet arrived in excellent condition but unfortunately the case had been damaged in transit. The seller sent me another case in time for Christmas at no extra charge. I don't imagine the same would have happened with the Chinese seller if there had been a fault!