Fingering!!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Chimp-man, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Chimp-man

Chimp-man New Member

I need abit of help. Having not long moved over to Eb Bass, I am not sure on valves for notes below G, is there any books out there that have got a Bass fingering chart in, especially for alternates with the 4th valve, I have found a few by trail and error, and asking " what's this fingering", but if i could see it in black and white it would stick in my mind.

Have got to say moving to Bass was the best move I made, really enjoying it, apart from marches, see earlier thread " help i must be mad" :D

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    few
    abit
    move
    G
    Bass
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

You moved from Trombone to bass? Are you insane?????

All assuming you've a compensating instrument
    G below the stave 1/3 or 4. Usually 4, but on some occasions 1 and 3 will "speak" better.

Gb F# 1/2/3 or 2/4, again usually 2/4.

F 1/4

E 1/2/4

Eb D# 2/3/4

D 1/3/4

Db C# 1/2/3/4

If your Eb Bass isn't compensating, then (in my experience) anything below the E is hit and miss.

Good luck.

4. Chimp-man

Chimp-man New Member

Thanx for that, it is compensating, that caused me a raised eye brow when people asked about non- compensating or compensating as well :!:

I moved from cornet :shock: [/quote]

5. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

Best way to think of it is compensating instruments use the 4th valve almost like an octave key. Non-comps is roughly a semitone out.

So if you're playing a series 700 Besson, Yamaha, most american tubas or a tuba with more than 4 valves, F on 1-4 will work usually, E becomes tempermental and is usually best on 2-3-4 (High Eb plus 4th), Eb is 1-3-4 (D plus 4th) D is 1-2-3-4 (C# +4th) and as you are now out of valves C# is non existant.

6. Just what I was thinking! Good luck anyway!