Fingering help!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Martin Hall, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Martin Hall

Martin Hall Member

I tend to practice pretty hard and although generally restricted on time due to work, I still do a decent stint!

The problem is, I think my fingers do let me down quite a bit and sticky fingering passages especially in the lower register (inlvolving the 3rd finger) I find awkward.

Now I have a "Vizzutti" and have found it of help if a little brain numbing!

I want to be able to excersise them and work them ideally whilst at work and without my instrument.

Does anyone have any excersices that would help, or have similar problems.

2. andyp

andyp Active Member

My way round this is to practise/play stuff using false fingering (as long as it doesn't ruin your tuning, that is), especially faster passages. Anything using A/G# or E/Eb is good, for example. If you keep doing this your 3rd/2nd fingers get more used to being worked. Sometimes it's easier as well, at the moment being Xmas we're doing Sleigh Ride, and there's a middle A/G# fast triplet about 4 lines down that's miles easier on 3/2+3 rather than doing 1+2/2+3. Works for me!
    hth

3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Just wiggle them faster. It'll be reet!

4. jambo

jambo Member

any time you have a fast passage apply the old 3,2,1 method or...miss it out, in true lauradoll fashion :lol:

5. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

I find in fast passages my hands may hurt, but this is due to making your muscles tense up. Try hanging your are loosely, when your sitting down, standing- anywhere. Try to make it feel like it's not there, as if it's "dead" (but don't chop it off! :lol: ) Make it feel weightless and then place it loosely on to a service and pretend your pressing valves down, don't tense up anything- and make sure your fingers feel this way when you play, and hopefully it should help.

6. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

i spend a few minutes sometime moving my elbow quickly and stopping it quickly to make sure it's still working... then again I have to move a proper distance, so I guess it's not much help... :oops:

7. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

It works for pianists, but have you tried getting a balloon and filling it with rice? Use it as a stress ball type thing, but practice fingerings.

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Problem is, when you're holding the rice balloon it's hard to get the right valves to go down :wink:

Seriously, though, I think the suggestion of using alternative fingerings is a good one. I always use them regularly, partly to improve intonation but also to ensure that all the instrument is used as much as possible. If you only use the 4th valve, for example, on the odd occasion, when you do you are suddenly introducing a substantial length of tubing that may be much colder than the rest of the instrument.

Of course, carolling is one of the best occasions to practice alternatives, as it is to get used to a new instrument - plenty of playing but nothing too stressful.

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

beurgh

10. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

I'd say give up the cornet and switch to trombone, you won't have a fingering problem then, instead you just guess where the notes are going to be by moving your slide up and down. Nearly works everytime! :wink:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    problem
    stint
    finger
    fingering passages
    register
  12. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

What does beurgh mean?

13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Please insert innuendo :mrgreen:

Dave

14. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

where would you like me to insert it?

:lol: :roll:

15. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Valves are the way forward venus! why dont you get some?! :D heheheheheehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehhehehe

16. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

I disagree. I mean everyone knows in a good band, the most intuune players are the trombonists. So maybe slides are the way of the future?? I mean it's the same principals as used by string players and guitarists......

17. Steve

Steve Active Member

Bluff it!!!!!!! :lol:

18. VenusTromster

VenusTromster Member

Thanx for that. I know i'm always in tune....it's everyone else, I swear!! :wink:
    Oh and Rambo Chick, wait til I catch up with you!! :evil:

19. uncle eric

uncle eric Member

friends

it was the great jim bowen who said

"you can't beat a bit of bully"

marvellous advice i'm sure you'd agree

regards

uncle eric

20. rutribal

rutribal Member

Exercise!

Lots of scales and exercises in difficult keys! Good for getting the mind warmed up too.

Trust lynchie to lower the tone ;-)

21. craigyboy1

craigyboy1 Member

Herbert Clarke technical studies has loads of awkward fingering stuff.
    Away from the instrument try touching the tips of you first and third finger together. First below and then above you second finger and repeat as fast as possible for as long as you like.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    problem
    stint
    finger
    fingering passages
    register