Finding the year of manufacture of instruments.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by kensar, Jan 2, 2008.

1. kensar

kensar Member

Can anyone help me with a web address for finding out the age of an instrument. I seem to remember Besson had an official page for this. Do other manufacturers offer a similar service? Thanks.

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

What make are looking for?

3. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

Can we still get access to the old Besson Serial number site?I have an old 928 Sovereign Cornet.Probably about 25 years old.
    CubbRep..Repiano cornet Cubbington Silver Band.

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- the resource has been abandoned since Buffet Crampon intergrated Besson into their website unfortunately! You are maybe best to email their UK rep. for information.

http://www.buffet-crampon.com/en/contacts.php

5. kensar

kensar Member

It is the old Besson Serial number search that I have used in the past. I just cannot remember the web address. I also wondered if other makers had any such data base. I bet all serial numbers and dates of manufacture are kept somewhere. This could be a very useful resource. I understand that some B & H serial numbers can tell you the year of manufacture if you have the necessary info to decipher the number!!

6. tubabum

tubabum New Member

7. tubabum

tubabum New Member

8. kensar

kensar Member

That is a help. The Music trader looks similar. Thank you.

9. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Those are both useful for older instruments, is there similar for instruments made between 1980 and 2000, Am interested to know just how old my besson 982 EEb Tuba is, Bought it second hand in 1994, was meant to be around 2 years old , but it would be nice to be sure.it could have been in a store for a while before it was first bought.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Besson
    similar service
    manufacturers
    official page
    year of manufacture of instruments
  12. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Having used the information kindly supplied in those links, (thanks folks) I was amazed to find my original first semi decent cornet, a Bach CR310 was built between 1970 and 1974. I had no idea till now that it was that old. I bought it second hand from a second hand shop about 1999 just after I started learning to play. My previous starter instruments were firstly a borrowed trumpet of odd foreign make, then a second hand Corton cornet Czechoslovakia made. Odd in the fact it doesn't have the classic shepherds crook bell tube, just a straight bend off the valve block. I now collect odd instruments, just because there may be something odd about them. I now play the latest buffet made Besson Sovereign. Bought just after Christmas.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008