Finding a suitable band when i go to uni...?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 2007besson2052, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Hello everyone,

I've applied to my 5 university choices, but won't know if or where i've got into for a good while yet. When the time comes, i will want to find a band close to my university and where I am staying (who will have me or have a vacancy of course).

How should i do this? I wish there was a website somewhere with a map showing all brass bands so I could see how far each one is without using multimap for every single one! Is there, or something similar? :eek:

Any help, much appreciated... :)
  2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Not a map, exactly, but if you go to the IBEW website and click List By Location it'll give you bands by county. Together with the location of your 5 choices, this should help you narrow things down a bit.

Alternatively, why not tell us your 5 choices and see if we can help?

3. Thank you!

They are:
    London School of Economics
    Royal Holloway (near Egham, London)
  4. Owen S

Owen S Member

I can help you with some of those:

Oxford: There are several bands in the area - Kidlington (champ), Stonesfield (1st), Chinnor (2nd), Chalgrove (3rd), Jubilee Brass (Oxford) and Oxford Templars Brass (4th). The last one is connected with City of Oxford Band, who don't contest at the moment, but were championship section a few years ago. I think that's all of them.

LSE: There aren't that many bands around in London, considering the population, but there are enough that you should find somewhere. Where would be convenient would depend on where you chose to live.

Royal Holloway: We (Egham) are just down the hill from the college in Englefield Green, about 15 minutes' walk, and many members of the band studied there. You'd be welcome to come down. There are a few other bands a drive away: Staines, Staines Lammas (non-contesting), Yiewsley and West Drayton, Denham Hendon and St. Sebastian's Wokingham are probably the closest.

Bristol and Durham? No idea, I'm afraid.
  5. Wow, thank you so much! That's so much help to me.

Does anyone know about Durham or Bristol? They're probably more likely that Oxford or LSE, my application was quite ambitious... :)
  6. Jay

Jay Member

Sam here is a fabulous link - tells you all the bands from all the different areas that have definitely said they are happy to accept uni students who may not be able to fully commit because of exams, studies etc - it's a gem!

Jay xx
  7. leisa

leisa Active Member

isn't polysteel near bristol?!?!..i am clueless with geography!!
  8. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I know polysteel have players go from Bristol. As for Durham - not as much choice as when I was up there im afraid. There is Durham uni band (nc) Trimdon and Craghead (4th) Bearpark and esh (3rd from jan?) Hartlepool and something else (nc) Peterlee band (1st) Maske (4th section finalists) Hetton (2nd) and Billingham (3rd) Ferryhill (2nd) Broughtons (1st) Murton (2nd) Durham Constabulary (2nd) Langbargh, Spennymoor town and houghton (1st/2nd) Lockwood, Westoe and Felling (1st/Champ) Then, Easington, Chester le street and Reg vardy and fishburn in the champ. I've played for most of them in my time and they are all very friendly. Nearer the time - I could pass on some contacts. Lots of them are on here. Good luck with your search.
  9. MartinT

MartinT Member

You probably should include Wantage (champ/4th section). Not to mention Bletchingdon (4th), plus some non-contesting bands, e.g. Kennington, Blewbury, Cholsey, Roke & Benson, Hook Norton.
  10. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Bristol :

City of Bristol
    Bristol East and kingswood

Can't think of any more at the moment
  11. Owen S

Owen S Member

I'm afraid that list really isn't that useful. I would imagine that almost all bands would welcome local university students in term time.

You're better off checking the websites of the relevant band association, or just asking locally or on here, then contacting the bands directly.
  12. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

20-30 mins just straight up the M5!

Many players come from Bristol to play at polysteel!

Then there is my band, Portishead depending on where in bristol but on 15mins roughly

And obvioulsy the other two aswell previously mentioned! I don't know where in Bristol they reherse in relation to where you'd be living so wouldn't know journey times!

13. If i got into Bristol, it'd be almost possible to continue with my current band in Swindon, its about an hour back home... But obviously that's still 2 hours for one thursday night so not ideal...

15. Veri

Veri Member

Oxford has a uni band!
  16. alks

alks Member

Well bands near and or around bristol... are....

City of bristol band.
    The combined band of bristol east/kingswood band(forgot the new name)
    Dodington parish band (my other band) or westerleigh band in yate nr bristol (less than 20 mins)
    Filton concert brass
    Marshfield band (my band)(quick trip down the m4 from bristol (less than 20 mins))
    Keynsham brass band
    portishead band

or even a short trip to bath such as city of bath band.

Some of these are contesting bands some are non contesting.

17. Sueperc

Sueperc New Member

Don't forget many Unii's have active Music Societies (I know Oxford does) you could look at them on the websites.

Wantage 'B' band
  18. dagriff

dagriff New Member

If your looking for a fourth section band in Durham I play for Bearpark and Esh Colliery. which is always friendly and welcoming. We currently have one Durham Uni student with us, and 5 durham graduates who've stayed on in the area (me included)

If you're looking for higher section bands, there are a number in the area. Most will have someone from Durham City who'd be able to give you a lift.
  19. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I'm actually considering changing my uni choices because I so desperately don't want to leave my bands!!
    I know that sounds vaguely immature, and I wouldn't really do it, but it's going to break my heart being away from my band for that much time over a few years-here's hoping they'll have me back once I'm all grown up and qualified!!
  20. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Oxford University music society:
    OU brass band:

You'd be welcome to drop in on us, if we have space - send me a PM if Oxford is where you end up.