Find A Brass Band

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by tsawyer, May 17, 2012.

1. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

I wrote a website to help people find a brass band to book for an event.

http://findabrassband.com/

Feedback appreciated.

Tim.

2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

It appears to give nothing more than a list of bands and their proximity to the location entered. There appears to be little distinction between which bands would be more suitable for each engagement type. If nothing else, at least it's a resource where all bands are listed (well, nearly all). One of my former bands isn't listed.

3. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

There's also a map. Bands in the list are marked with the section they're in/type of band they are. There's a key to the sections/types and what they represent. There's some commentary under the map for which type of bands would be most appropriate for the selected event type.

What else do you suggest?

Which one? Where do you think it should be?

4. John_D

John_D Member

Just tried our locality and it showed us as NC. Did Butlins and the areas just happen in my mind then?

5. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Sorted.

6. CowesBand

CowesBand New Member

TimYou've kindly listed Cowes Concert Band - please can you add our website address: www.cowesconcertband.co.ukAlso you've listed us as NC. The band has not contested for a long while, but it would be wrong to suggest that the band will never contest again.Many thanks

7. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Website sorted.

Brassbandresults has you with no contest results, therefore your status is non-competing. Happy to change it if you contest at some point, just send me some feedback.

http://brassbandresults.co.uk/bands/cowes-concert-band/

Tim.

8. DRW

DRW New Member

Some observations / questions based on a few minutes play...

How likely is it that this will reach the early pages of a search engine ahead of / amongst bands own websites? If the intention is to help the public find bands for events, it needs to appear high in the listings otherwise it will just be a personal project.
    People won't be searching 'find a brass band' or 'search for a brass band'. They will mainly search on 'brass band <region / county / town>'. You will need to work extremely cleverly to get search results ahead of other sites.

What is the likely impact of showing bands rankings or / non-contesting to the public? Do they care? They're not booking a band for a contest after all. Or will they be overly influenced by this information and book to get what they assume is 'the best', but may not be the most appropriate for their event.
    On searching for bands for a prestigious event, it seems to return all types of bands. What intelligence is in place to filter by job type? Where does the info come from that determines what job a band will do? If there is the ability to search by 'type', customers will be expecting to show accurate results and I'm sure band booking secretaries will also appreciate not getting calls for the wrong job type.

Searching on 'Norfolk' returns Norfolk, Virginia. Is this intentional? Searching 'Norwich' returns the Norfolk area, but there are several bands missing on the map until you click 'show more' on the list: - Cromer & Sheringham, Fakenham, Kings Lynn. Is this intentional?

In searching for Norwich, the results are only for Norfolk. Understandable, but if I live on the edge of Norfolk / Suffolk, the Suffolk bands could be equally as relevant.

I didn't see the list under the map until I re-read the thread so it's likely that others will miss it too.

There is no back button or obvious way to search again. It's an unconventional customer journey that you've built which pops up a new window with the results.

It might be worth considering how to use this to market against other types of entertainment / activity that people might automatically consider. If organisers want a brass band for an event, the chances are that they already have a particular band in mind. Weddings is a good example. Couples may not have considered a brass band for their wedding so 'muscling in' on searches for string quartets, organists, harpists, trumpeters would be a good move.

Good luck with this. It's a very ambitious project if it's going to achieve what you hope. Be very clear on what you want it to be and design it around those objectives. I think the idea of a 'find a brass band website' has legs and you've got a good domain name. Perhaps consider coming from a different angle. Create a database with true details for those bands that submit their details. One key piece of important information for a booker that's missing from most bands website is the bands' fee. If you include this, you will have something unique to set it apart from all the other similar sites.

9. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

Thanks for your comments.

This site was envisaged as an easy link I could include when replying to people trying to book the band for either an inappropriate event or one we weren't able to do. It makes use of the data that is already stored on http://brassbandresults.com/ and available on the map there. I don't intend to do much more with http://findabrassband.com/ unless there are any quick wins - it's never likely to rank highly on search engines, it's too specific.

My original intention was to filter results by section based on the event type searched for. However, I couldn't justify this to myself as a good solution - the sections are very wide, top championship section bands won't do park jobs, but the other end of the section does. I did, however, want to give some indication of band level (and therefore fee), hence including the section and short commentary at the top of the results. If there's any interest, I'll allow bands with classified profiles on http://brassbandresults.co.uk/ to decide what kinds of jobs they want to appear in the results for.

"In searching for Norwich, the results are only for Norfolk" - Results are searched by crow flies distance from wherever Google's geocoding decides the search point is. Clicking 'show more' increases the distance for bands found from that point.

The way to search again is to click the 'Search Again' link at the top of the results. I'll play with the HTML5 history api at some point so the back button works.

Tim.

10. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

The way I read it, there's too much assumption on the site's part that the layman knows what the capabilities of the various sections are, yet it starts off by suggesting that by entering a couple of details, the most suitable band for the occasion will get to the top of the list, which isn't the case.

Tywyn Silver Band are missing. They're only celebrating their 125th anniversary this year, so it's easy to forgive the over site :)

As I said earlier though, at least it's a fairly comprehensive list of bands that joe public can access. That is to be applauded :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Tim
    Brass Band
    book
    people
    website
  12. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

My psychic powers are lacking today. I need name, latitude, longitude (and a web address if there is one) to add them.

13. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

14. tsawyer

tsawyer Member

15. mr_nismo

mr_nismo Member

Worked well for me.... Derby, Prestigious Concert - Derwent Brass. Championship Section. All spot on - nice one. :)

Personally would make it a little easier to the eye on the home page though....

Also if you do a bit of SEO work and include some key words for prestigious concert brass band event, etc. etc. it should help.
    Build some recprical hot links to various websites, etc. etc.

7th June DevMac are holding a free google seminar - may be of use to you: http://www.devmac.co.uk/specials_71_3.html

Cheers

16. TheFopp

TheFopp Member

It's showing Vernon Building Society (Poynton) Brass Band as 1st section. We are still currently Championship section until January 2013.

17. Cornet Luke

Cornet Luke Member

Hi Tim,

Although I think this is a great idea, I think that it has one big flaw.

Quoted from your website is: 'If you're looking for a band to play at a big concert, and you're looking for a very good standard of playing, then consider Championship, first and perhaps second section bands.'

How does a band's contesting level and status qualify it to be a better concert band than another?
    From experience in listening, and playing within, many Championship bands can not put out as good a performance on the concert stage as 1st, 2nd, 3rd section bands.
    There is no real link between contesting, and a good, entertaining concert.

Other than that, a great website. :)
    I just can't see it ranking higher up on google than the likes of Black Dyke, Brighouse etc.

Luke

18. KitKat

KitKat New Member

Stockport Silver is Non-Contesting.
    Many thanks