Finals Pieces Announced

Discussion in '2010 National Championships of Great Britain' started by QAD, May 11, 2010.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Out of interest, what are the approximate time lengths of the pieces for sections 2>4? The Ellerby is about 11 mins (10:45 mins according to a friend) and Diversions plays for just over 11:20 mins.

2. Aurora771

Aurora771 Member

The Black Dyke recording of Willow Pattern is roughly 14.30 mins. Perhaps this is why some bits have been cut?

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I'm only curious ... top section choice seems very short and I thought there might be a pattern here?

4. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

Ref : Nationals testpieces 2010

I have just listened 3 times now to Terra Australis by Martin Ellerby on CD played the old YBS band conducted by Prof. David King, it's nice though with respect to the composer it aint a "crowd milker" at the end like some of the other bigger crowd pleasers & finishers.

It has this part in the middle of the tune "waltzing matilda" on Euph Solo with what I assume is a delicate Sop wiggly part accomp, again repeating the "Once a jolly swagman Camped by a billabong" coming & going throughtout...

The ending is full of fury violent passion & rage of unrestrained energy & speed, it has that final bar moment like Derek Bourgeois Concerto no.1 for band The War March of the Ostriches.....

Other testpieces have come & gone never to be repeated at a contest stage, Terra Australis might be another (hope not though as Martin Ellerby's music I find is quite good).

5. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

I have Terra Australis coming in just at the 11 min mark without the applause (at the end),... though don't you know this will differ with all bands on the day especially the slower movement of "Waltzing Matilda".....

6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Thank goodness the piece only hinted at Waltzing Matilda. I would expect that some sections will be faster so it will average at about 11mins. Did you catch more than a hint of Peter Graham throughout?

7. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I heard Psalms and Alleluias and the mp3 said 9 mins 45

8. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

Must of listened to it now 7/8 times, still trying to pick out Peter Graham,... though the Waltzing Matilda part reminds me of Goff Richards "A Saddleworth Festival Overture",......

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

More like "in the style of" PG at certain points. Do you think the piece will be popular?

10. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

Well personally speaking and please all understand that it's not an attack on Mr. Ellerby or his music as I support his music especially Tristan Encounters, Evocations, & wind bands Paris Sketches to name but a few,... but this could be another "Ceremony" as in Michael Ball's composition. A piece that has not been played at competition level since it was selected as testpiece for the British Open 2000.

Having been to RAH on previous occasions I do hope that this piece will attract the listener.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Does the recording include the "optional" cadenza section? If not, then that would increase the time for the RAH.

12. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

not sure Peter what it includes as I do not have a score in front of me to follow. I don't have any understanding of the optional cadenza section i'm only going by what was performed on the recording.

13. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

I'm just about to wrap up this recording would anyone like to hear YBS playing Terra Australis ?

14. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

is your recording from the audience or through the recording suite at the rncm?

15. garsop_2000

garsop_2000 Member

Not sure what the recording suite is, but what I can tell you is that it was taken from the radio 3 broadcast on 08.03.06.

Hope this helps.

16. bassbone

bassbone Member

Contact Bournemouth Concert Brass

17. VB17c

VB17c New Member

18. euphalogy

euphalogy Member

Thanks

I have tried, no success to date.

Regards
    Al

19. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

yep ok, through the system then. I have a copy of the master from the concert.

20. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

My memory did serve me correctly. From the 'Terra Australis' thread:

Grimethorpe recorded it back in November and we are awaiting it to be mastered. We're doing our best to release it as a single on itunes a.s.a.p. in light of the announcement that it will be the finals test piece