Finale to Organ Symphony No.3 Saint Saens

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Wingnut.ci, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Wingnut.ci

Wingnut.ci New Member

Can Anyone tell me which is the best arrangement to get of the finale of the Saint Saens organ symphony for band? and also does it come with the organ part?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There is only one band arrangement with an optional organ part and that is by Philip Wilby. You can buy it here.

Youtube recording below ...

[youtube]YY_U1Hj8fEM[/youtube]

3. Lawrencediana

Lawrencediana Member

Chris Cozens ex-woodfalls band did an arrangement which Black Dyke used on a CD a few years ago.

4. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

There's also a Frank Renton arrangement, available to listen to on the 'Pagannini Variations' CD by Grimethorpe. This covers both the organ parts and the orchestral parts on the band.

As Brassneck said, I think Wilby's is the only commercially available one which covers the orchestral parts on the band but requires the organ to work as a whole.

5. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

We played it with organ at the IBBSS concert. It was an outstanding experience.

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

He also incorporated the original parts for two pianos, but I wouldn't know whether they have also made it into the published version.

7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... that sounds painful! :roll:

8. katieeuph

katieeuph Member

I arranged it for organ and band for my wedding but i'd probably be right in thinking Mr Wilby did a better job!! Great piece (it actually does sound better with the piano part too, for the full 'twinkly' effect!)

9. carlton-salvo

carlton-salvo New Member

Have to say for me Kevin Norburys arrangement on the ISB Manuscipts CD is my favourite, although dont believe it has the organ part included

10. Thirteen Ball

Even though I've played it, I couldn't swear to it either way.

James Madison University band and Yorkshire Co-op band (whom I was then a member of) played it as a massed bands finale for the gala concert to Brighouse festival of brass in 2008.

We were specifically requested to play the Wilby version.... despite pointing out the fact that the gala concert was held in a church that does not contain an organ....

(That was a pretty embarrasing experience. I can tell you!)

So, as I'm sure you can appreciate, Peter, there was that much missing from the version we put on stage that I couldn't possibly confirm either way. There could well have been a couple of piano parts missing in some of the gaping holes left behind.....

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Organ Symphony No.3 Saint Saens
    Saint Saens
    Finale
    Saint Saens organ symphony
    band
  12. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It was the Wilby one we did at the IBBS concert this year and the Organ was cue'd in on the parts too..

13. Thirteen Ball

Might be a different typesetting then. We had it cued in one or two places, but there were big gaps in others.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  14. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

Not questioning the transcription but for me the absence of the organ left this recording in a distant second when compared to the amazing sounds of Black Dyke with the organ on the Wilby arrangement on their Cathedral Brass CD. Still one of my favourites.

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Having played the organ part, I can certify that there's not actually much in it.

16. cornet96

cornet96 New Member

The wilby arrangement is fantastic with band but agree the cathedral brass cd is special with organ and two pianos, common denominator black dyke!!!!!!!!!