Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by sugarandspice, Oct 11, 2004.

1. sugarandspice

sugarandspice Active Member

need some help- need to know some films from before 1974......which contain children.

no partiular theme needed, as long as the children speak at some point during the film!- not actually as bizarre as it sounds! its english coursework!!
    so get your thinking caps on!
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The film of "The Railway Children" was made in 1970, but as that is set in an even earlier period it may not be what you're looking for.

Equally, "Mary Poppins" (1964) or "Bedknobs and Broomsticks" (1971) also predate 1974.

Or you could try something like "Whistle down the wind" (1961), where the children are central to the film. there's also "Please Sir" (1971), the spin-off from the TV series of the same name, or "To Sir with love" (1967), a much more serious look at the subject which in part was the inspiration for the later comedy.
  3. Keith Stanley James Lever

Keith Stanley James Lever Supporting Member

Children's Film Foundation

This British company was formed in 1951 to produce and distribute specially-devised entertainment films for children's Saturday matinees. It was sponsored by trade organisations.
  4. Keith Stanley James Lever

Oliver Twist (1948), Prince and the Pauper (1937), 'Our Gang' a collection of child actors first gathered together in short comedies by Hal Roach in the mid-twenties. They remained popular through the thirties and forties, though the personnel of the team naturally changed.
  5. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
  6. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

The Sound of Muzak (er... sorry.... Music!)

7. Keith Stanley James Lever

Sorry 'sugarandspice' but after searching the 'net' for THE CHILDREN'S FILM FOUNDATION I found that it closed in 1981..............
  8. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

Bedknobs and Broomsticks is a legendary moooovie!!! I loved it when I was younger, and I watched it a few weeks back on tv!!! :D
  9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Charlie and the Chocolate factory must surely have been pre 74?? (the one with Gene Wilder as Mr Wonka)
  10. PeterBale

1971 ;)
  11. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

you have FAR too much free time Mr. Bale, but thank you. ;)
  12. PeterBale

No - just a second window already set to "Google" :oops:
  13. sugarandspice

you are all stars :) now i just need to get hold of these videos!!
  14. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

What about Bugsy Malone? Not sure when it was made though...
  15. sugarandspice

- its got to be children under 10, they're a bit older in bugsy malone!

how old do we think the kids are in mary popins? think thats going to be the one i use-english coursework on mary popins! how could i ever fail?!
  16. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

Poppins might be a good start - especially for a piece of English Coursework!!
  18. PeterBale

Just too late - 1976 :shock:
  19. sugarandspice

ok you amazing people- does anyone have the ability to find an interent site which has the any of the scripts from the film? (preferably with the children speaking!!-not singing!!)
  20. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

How about "Walkabout" (1971) or "Lord of the Flies" (1963).