Filing in Aplabetical Order

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Will the Sec, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

OK, folks, how does your band's librarian do it?

I would say that singular and definite articles are ignored ("A" and "The") Hence, A "Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square" is filed under "N".

Brackets are ignored, so "(Meet the) Flintstones" is filed under "F". (And if it's (Meet) the Flintstones, it's still filed under "F"

A complete word followed by any word comes before a longer word, even if the longer word's subsequent letter is earlier in the alphabet than the next word. So, "Bach Goes to Town" goes before "Bacharach for Brass".

I would hope that all bands get this far, but how do you handle titles in foreign languages?

It's tempting to file La Traviata (Prelude from) under "T" as the well versed know that "La" is an article, and in this case it's probably OK, as if it isn't under "L", most people will look for it under "T".

Trickier, I think, is the case for handling elisions.

I do not want, for any reason, to file "L'Arlesienne" under "A", though using the articles argument, it probably should.

For me, the over riding need must be that the approach is uniform, and if a conductor says "I want to get out "Nightingale" in the second half, it can be easily found - and (even more important) deps can find music in a pad during a gig. (I will not dep with one band, because the Bass pads were in such a mess, they weren't sorted before the gig, no playlist was given, and I was always last to have the music ready. Bang out of order....)

How does your band's librarian handle this?

(Bb Bass players need not reply, as in my experience, they all file "The Arcadians" under "T"...)
  2. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Do you mean all the music or just the stuff thats in your pads? Cos for the music in our pads we have a index at the front so you can find everything.... But 'the african waltz' is under t.
  3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We have a strict filing system...titles in the library are always filed under the first word except in the case of "the". Generally works OK but recently we were going to bash though "The Force of Destiny" (or should that be "Force of Destiny, The"?) but we couldn't find it anywhere - we looked under F (force) The (the) D (destiny)...until someone remembered that a previous librarian saw fit to file that particular piece under "L" for "La Forca Del Destino" :roll:

You file things in your pad in alphabetical order? :eek: :eek: What are you some kind of anorak or something??? ;)
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Shame on you, Will - should be under "I" for "I gotta motta" ;)
  5. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Wrong Will, we file it all under M for Music!!
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

:eek: ... are there bass players who use pads for music?
  7. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Our band (as yonhee said) files music alphabetically, but it has always confused me when a piece starts with 'the' or something in brackets etc, so I completely rearrange my folder and sort it so it's autobiographical. After a week or so I can find any piece of music purely from memories of playing it, concerts, or who was sitting next to me at the time! eg, 'bring me sunshine' was played on the same concert as 'nimrod' which was conducted by brett baker, who on another concert conducted 'indianna jones and the temple of doom' which is by john williams who also wrote 'harry potter'. So in my file they were 4 consecutive pieces. Bit of an odd way of doing things but it works for me. The only major problem with this is obviously the rest of the band have some sort of 'logical' order to their music, so I can't help anyone sitting next to me who wants to know where to look for it.
  8. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Thats well complicated... Much easier having it in the same order as everyone else then they can just tell me what number it is :)
  9. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Although some of the more anally retentive members of Old Hall use an alphabetical system, I use a LIFO stack for my music which is much more efficient than any other system as proven by the fact that no one in the bass section finds their music quicker than me. Not even Judith, who has some kind of sectionising thing.

This system is altered when a job approaches and the order is given out as the music for the job is put at the top of the stack in order and is kept there, in order, until the job is past. This way, the job music forms a fixed [black box] within the LIFO stack and is treated as a group. If one programme item is moved, they all are.

It also obviously removes both the language and article problems without any re-structuring of the pad or nearby space-time. If I could get my head around the intricacies of string theory, I'd probably have a system that works in other then 4 dimensions, but I CBA and the current system works with the current universal coordinates. If it ain't broke, don't give it any money.

Librarians: Please note this system only works in a limited way for band libraries. Have a drawer (or maybe 2) that you can use for current music, but the main library should be alphabetical and consistent in its treatment of foreign titles and articles. Logically, L'Arlesienne should be in A as the 'L' is short for La, which is the feminine form of 'The'. Don't bugger about. Decide how you are going to handle it and just get on and do it. Librarians are like prison warders.
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  10. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

whats LIFO?
  11. mikelyons

LIFO = Last In First Out

This is opposed to FIFO: First In First Out

both of them are ways of stacking objects in a list.
  12. Will the Sec

Agreed, but the elision tends to mean that some think of the piece as "Larlesienne" and not as an alteration of "La Arsienne". Frankly, I'd rather not waste ten minutes a reherasal for people looking for it (even though they played it last week...)

Individual pads, I suppose, can be organised any which way, but if a concert programme is being aimed at and a person is going to be absent, then the pad must in order that music can be found if the MD suddenly decides to take a spare out of the pad. You know they are all prone to such "moments of inspiration" indeed I have been in the past.

I should of course apologise for generalising about my fellow Bb Bass players. I'm sure there are at least three in the country who can file properly:rolleyes:
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

being assistant librarian at my band i should have a tip top pad as an example.. but no - it's under, music from the last concert, others (in any order) and marches and hymns shoved in the front. Should really sort that out :)
  14. mikelyons

I really like that version! :clap:

Do you think it might be related to the British disease of apostrophe blindness?
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As the majority of the pieces in our pads come from SA journals, they usually have numbers allocated, so I tend to put things in numerical order where possible, with other items going behind them, filed alphabetically.

We are fortunate at Hadleigh in that we have an excellent librarian, and also that we tend not to keep too much music in the pads. We also have folders with a compartment each side, so if there is a particular concert coming up then that programme can be kept together in programme order. Equally, with an away weekend, where there may be three or more programmes of music to deal with, we often use plastic pockets to keep them apart.

For our trip to Holland last year, as many of the programmes had to be very flexible, the items we took with us were all numbered especially, so they could be pulled out as required.
  16. Kerwintootle

Kerwintootle Member

I was once in a band where the librarian filed 'Hey Mr Music Man' under A. Well it was Yorkshire.

17. HBB

HBB Active Member

The answer to most of lifes scenarios... :)
  18. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

In my band we dont seem to file our pads in any order unless we have a concert coming up, in which it is in order of play.

I have to have my packet in alphabetical order otherwise i would be all night looking for one piece.

Hopefully this will rub off on other members of the band - this way we might get to play more pieces in a rehersal!!!
  19. Will the Sec

And to think I've typed in some 800 entries in the catalogue.

Oh, dear. :eek:
  20. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

My pad is usually in smashing order ( ;) ), little ones at the front (marches/any half A4 size parts) then alphabetical order, and alphabetical within each letter, but ignoring the word the, (unless there was a piece that was just called 'The').
    I tend to go by what the piece is refered to in band I think (within reason).