Fiddlers in bands?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by bariwizard, Jan 8, 2011.

1. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

I recently played at a wedding where one of the band had arranged a short piece of music for violin and piano which was very effective. We are fortunate enough to have a fiddler in our band and I'm thinking of doing something similar for an ents contest later in 2011 - I have a couple of ideas I think would work with light scoring that would be good in terms of contrast in a programme.
    Has this been done before? Some of the guys at band reckon Desford/ Grimey had fiddlers on Euph in the 70's 80's, & apparently one of the Grimey bass players has done a bit? in the past as well. If it's been done before it may save me some work, and do you think I could get away with it at a contest?
  2. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

You need to check with the contest organiser. Some entertainment contests are run under National rules so you can only have your standard brass instruments plus percussion. Some are a but more relaxed and will allow other instruments
  3. John_D

John_D Member

Well if bands in the entertainment section at Butlins last year could use electric guitars it could be worth looking into, although, as Michelle has said, check the rules carefully first.
  4. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

and a violin in a piece too at Butlins last year too - was it Milnrow?
  5. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Wasn't it Hepworth and Ben Tubb's arrangement of Danse Macabre?
  6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One or two bands have used a violin in "Cry of the Celts" - Whitburn for one, if I remember (on the "Victory" cd).

"Schindler's List" would also be an ideal item to pay with violin.
  7. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

NO! It was a Ben Tubb arrangement for Hepworth.
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Yup, It was my piece "Danse Macabre Variations" that included the Violin Soloist and Brass Band.
  9. Goldie Horn

Goldie Horn Member

Yes, very funny bariwizard...hmm
  10. simonium

simonium Member

I'm enjoying the sensible remarks to a fairly juvenile joke.
  11. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

I have to admit...I enjoy Bariwizard. His posts are my guilty pleasure.
  12. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

The particular (Elgar,Massennet) pieces I was thinking of would be more a contrast, rather than comedy items I think. Thanks all for the help though, and at least it seems viable.
  13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Our band has done meditation from Thais with Violin before.
  14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I arranged Monti's Czardas for violin solo and band a few years ago for my wife to play. I can let you have a copy for a small charge if you want. PM me.
  15. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Fiddler On The Euph

You could write a musical my boy
  16. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I don't think they got away with it, how would you make sure that you did?
  17. bariwizard

bariwizard Member

Cheers BT. Sorry for not replying earlier, but the youngster I had in mind says that it would be too hard and fast for comfort - I suspect your wife is a pro, and the inability of my band to play anything above or below mf is making me think of a smaller ensemble anyway.
  18. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I suppose that's what the search function is for. Is there an arrangement about of Ashokan Farewell? It's a lovely simple piece that would work well for fiddler and band I think, and was was voted no. 36 in Classic FM's (UK) 2013 Hall of Fame so is pretty well known.
  19. DRW

DRW New Member

Very nice and popular with audiences. Starts with a solitary flugel
  20. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member