Festive mood triggers

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by WoodenFlugel, Dec 18, 2005.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

What triggers your festive mood? I've just got back from a carol service with Wigston where we play in the tiny church of a tiny village in Leicestershire. I've done this job for years, and I never feel at all "Christmassy" until I've played at this particular Carol service. I don't know why this is - maybe its the atmosphere as we cram into the little church and the sherry and mince pies afterwards are great too. But until I've done that job it doesn't feel like Christmas to me.

So I wonder what is it that finally makes you feel "yeah this is Christmas" - it doesn't have to be a band job, just an event or something that flicks the switch to make you feel festive. :D

2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Well we rented 'The Polar Express' tonight on dvd and sat down and watched it with the kids - had a bottle of wine - perfect! Kids really enjoyed it - and it's put me and Nia well and truly in the Christmas spirit. Highly recommended.

It's Christmas time............................

3. Di

Di Active Member

I've sat and done all the wrapping and I'm ready. Bring it on ... :biggrin:

4. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

Wrappin xmas presents does it every time, oh and Christmas concerts usually do it too!

5. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Hathern Club concert! This year it was amazin! :biggrin: And walking around the streets at stupid hours of the morning carolling, and having to come home to bed you're so cold...:rolleyes:

6. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Festive?

I'm playing carols on the vibrations from my teeth, my lip looks and feels like a lump of raw liver, the Xmas shopping is barely started, the last posting date for half the cards is already past...

Festive? :eek:

Bah beggaring humbug!

;)

7. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Last about 10 minutes of term but it only lasts till I get off the bus... But something that doesnt is playing in churches :|

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Having just completed the last of four performances of our Christmas presentation if I didn't feel Christmasy now then nothing would do it! We had a brass 10-piece plus two keyboards, bass guitar and drums accompanying four choreographed items, and we also played for 6 carols (wandering round the arena), "Christmas Joy" and "Snow Waltz" while the collection was taken up - not forgetting "Jingle bells" for the arrival of Father Christmas!

Quite tiring, but very worthwhile. Our timbrels (tambourine display group) did an effective display to Ray Farr's arrangement of "Troika" - twelve of them taking part in pairs, one seated on a chair and one standing - but fortunately we didn't have to play for that as well ;)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2005
  9. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

christmas finaly arrived for me this Saturday, when the youth band pu ton our chrismas concert.
    seeing the kids so excited, and having the audience join in to sing a few carols, with mince pies afterwards fantastic.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!

Christmasy Craigy

10. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Christmas will begin on Friday night after our last concert and when that first pint passes my lips!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Carol
    Christmassy
    Wigston
    Leicestershire
    tiny church
  12. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I couldn't get in the festive mood at all last year. I was an engineer for a supermarket and everyone was getting so stressed out and what with having to work on Boxing day I just wanted it to finish. :(

One job change later and I'm really up for it this year. On Saturday we finished decorating the house, cleaned the carpet and then had our band's Christmas concert. I get the feeling this year is going to be a great Christmas :tup

13. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

For me, this has to be the kids Christmas Play at their school. This year we had a first... which was that one of my kids actually had a lead part in their school play. Throughout Junior school, Llloyd didn't have any form of lead role at all, and up until now, Heather niether. This year however saw Heather taking the lead role in their play... "Countdown to Christmas" where she played the part of the Fairy Clock Mother!!

Prime part, loads of lines, loads of words... which she managed brilliantly. Nerves... phah! kids don't know 'em eh!

Christmas has been triggered for me - especially with also being totally blown away when I arrived home and went online after the kids sports clubs christmas parties yesterday evening... more on that in another thread later after the Christmas shopping. It's all starting for me...:)

14. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Christmas Eve 'around the tree' (or in the pannier market if the weather's bad) this is South Molton the weather is ALWAYS bad (they get about 10 minutes of sunshine a year in South Molton) so yeah christmas eve in the pannier market at about 8pm :D its magical :D and then we go in the George Hotel and play more carols and drink a bit :D

15. HBB

HBB Active Member

Not feeling very Christmassey at the moment. I think I will Christmas Eve with my family all around me. Snow would help. Snow would help a lot! :D

16. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

as a kid chrictmas always seemed to arrive when we started the run of panto performances at the local theatre, but this year now i'm a real grown up christmas doesn't seem the same somehow. i felt all christmassy while we did all of our school christmas concerts and christmas plays, carolling in the streets, but now school has ended it feels like christmas is over, my siblings are grown up and not coming home for chiristmas, it feels really weird.

i long for just one more magical childhood christmas, the next time i get one of thoughs will be when i have kids and that won't be for like a million years!!!

17. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Listening to King's College Choir singing Harold Darke's setting of In The Bleak Midwinter gets me feeling festive!

18. Steve

Steve Active Member

100% with you there dude, Its the kids that make christmas for me and despite being sick to the back teeth of banding at christmas after recent years, seeing those wee ones getting up playing solos like little donkey really made it all hit home. I really havent enjoyed a traditional christmas for many years but maybe this year is gonna be a bit different.

The exceptionally well decorated house and 100% believing little foskett helped too.

19. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Putting up the decorations. Especially this year since LittleBabyBadger did the whole tree all by herself apart from the lights which Mummy eventually managed to unravel with much muttered swearing. Did try to swear in German so she wouldn't understand it. Hope she never meets any Germans. They will be astonished by her grasp of the vernacular...
    BMB
    xx

20. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Once our school concert's out the way, that's when I start to think about Christmas! Mind you, it always seems to be right at the beginning of December anyway.
    Hearing carols/ taking part in carol services in the final week or so before Christmas feels a bit Christmassy - but other than that, with Christmas seeming to start earlier every year... I've normally had enough by the time it arrives!
    (Bah Humbug!)

21. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Normally it's the office Christmas bash - by which time Parliament is winding down, and the office mood becomes a lot lighter. :icon_biggrin:

Not this year though. Missed the office party 'cos I've been ill. :icon_sad:

Will the Ailing

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Carol
    Christmassy
    Wigston
    Leicestershire
    tiny church