Festive Fundraiser for Stocksbridge Band!

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by sunny_jimbob, Dec 12, 2006.

1. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

As all bands know, Christmas is a major time for generating funds to see the band through the following year, with concerts and carolling sessions galore.

Stocksbridge Band are undertaking a slightly unusual method of fundraising this year, however, with Bass Trombonist Nick Stokes attempting a ’Sponsored 12 Hour Christmas Carolathon’.

Kicking off at 9am, Nick will be attempting to play with as many bands, in as many different places as possible, before 9pm. He will be starting at 9am with Stocksbridge Band at Morrisons in Hillsborough, Sheffield, and moving on in and around Sheffield to cover as much ground and meet as many bands as possible. He will be accompanied by a photographer to keep a record of all the bands he plays with.

Nick says, “Christmas is a great time of year for bands to raise some much needed funds, and I thought it would be good to try something a little bit different. It should be good fun, but I bet I’ll end up playing the same carol eight or nine times!”

Stocksbridge Band’s Sponsorship Secretary, Clare Moore, said, "Nick's 'Christmas Carolathon' is a great idea for raising funds for the band, and Stocksbridge Band hope that as many local bands as possible get involved with this marathon event! We are currently trying to get media exposure for the event, so you may see Nick's smiling face in a newspaper near you!"

If you would like to sponsor Nick, drop him a PM. Nick is also looking for bands in and around Sheffield who are out carolling on Christmas Eve, and would be happy for him to drop in and play a tune or two with them. If you can help, please PM either Nick or clare_euph.

To be continued…!
  2. agentorange

agentorange Member

Hi Nick.

PM a contact address to me and i'll stick a cheque in the post to you.

Merry Christmas to all at Stocksbridge Band.

P.S. you must be mental!!!!
  3. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Saw mental on the way through, very nice, but I think I'm well out the far side of that now..! ;)

Also, it's just been pointed out to me that I haven't actually stated that this will be happening on Christmas Eve! Never proof read your own text!
  4. tenor

tenor New Member

Hi nick you old goat my crowd rockingham are at Morrisons Brampton - Cortonwood from 10am onwards for about 3hours so if your in the area come down.

5. hornsrus

hornsrus Member

Hi there good luck mate, oughtibridge are under the christmas tree on the milenium green at about seven thirty your more than welcome!!! pm if you want details
  6. timbloke

timbloke Member

Nick, further to my PM, I'll pop down to MoreReasons in the morning and drop some money into your pot. how long will you be there?
  7. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

If you materialise circa 10am that should be perfect.
  8. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

I'm going to be interviewed by Dean Pepple of Radio Sheffield live on air on Sunday morning, around half 8. Scary stuff!

Also, I'll try and get the article about this from the Sheffield Star scanned in tonight.
  9. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Full report to follow, but for the time being:

14 Hours
    11 Venues
    72 Carols
    194 Miles

Huge huge thanks to Chapeltown, Barnsley Building Society, Rockingham, Dinnington, Doncaster Scouts, Hatfield and Woodhouse bands.

I'm shattered; I'm going to bed! ;)
  10. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

And Bakewell! Told you I was shattered!
  11. clare_euph

clare_euph Member

Come on, Nick!! We're all waiting!! :)
    Hopefully see you on 4th January, if not before!!!!!

Clare xx