Female Adjudicators

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by dizzy068, Jan 6, 2008.

1. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

Just a thought...and I don't want to start a whole feminist debate here......we are now very much a male & female movement - yes they let us girls play rather than make tea now!! - BUT its still ALWAYS men in the box......discuss!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    female movement
    Female Adjudicators
    girls
    feminist debate
    box
  3. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

They'd get distracted too easy - you know filing there nails, adjusting make-up, stuff like that.
    Now "mixed adjs" in a box, I'd be up for that :biggrin:

4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Its because females have not mastered the art of peeing in a bucket !

Seriously though, we were adjudicated by Simone Rebello at the areas last year so they do exist.

5. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Well in the past there was Barbara Stone and Betty Anderson, more recently Simone Rebello. Maybe the women in the movement aren't interested in taking on such a contentious job.

6. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Or maybe they're just more sensible. :)

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

... or maybe they're not asked...??!!:eek:

8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

9. NeilW

NeilW Member

How many top section conductors are female?

Is there anyone other than (our) Catherine Underwood at the moment?

To be able to adjudicate contests should you have to be able to show you can compete (and win) them?

10. Masterblaster jnr

Masterblaster jnr Active Member

I was adjudicated by Linda Nicholson in 2005 and Denise Dransfield afterwards at elland slow melody.

11. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

I have done a few solo and quartet contests, local music festivals but not anything else

shaz x

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    female movement
    Female Adjudicators
    girls
    feminist debate
    box
  13. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

In general, yes, and not just for female candidates either. I believe that a winning career as a conductor, or player, at the highest level qualifies you to be able to pass judgment on the efforts of your peers.

14. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I know its a while ago now but when my old band Frickley South Elmsall won the 4th Section nationals the ajudicators were Sheila Tracey and Betty Anderson.

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

By that criterion, would you exclude composers (e.g. people like Philip Sparke or Arthur Butterworth)?

Not that there are too many female composers either (especially in the brass band world), but it's another avenue.

16. NeilW

NeilW Member

Philip Sparke did have a conducting spell too: with the now departed Hanwell aka Roneo Alcatel (in the fetching pink jackets!) in the early '80s. They were Championship Section...

17. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

It doesn`t really matter what sex, size, colour or even age an adjudicator is as long as they can do the job well and fairly and preferably sum up in the little speech afterwards their feelings in a manner not too destructive to the bands taking part.

18. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

That may be so but I believe that those being judged would prefer to know that the adjudicator was somewhat competent at their job. Its the same as millions of football fans up and down the country believing they could do a beter job than Steve McLaren....

Sorry bad analogy. :)

19. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

No, because Philip and many others like him are highly distinguished and respected composers and have been producing test works for the top level for many years.

20. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Well taking the football analagy further. Top class referees are hardly ever former star players/managers and they are (usually) good judges of the game. Also people like John Motson, Brian moore and Des Lynham who were good pundits and commentators were never real top class players.
    Surely if you have a music background, a good ear and can follow a score with ease then you should have the attributes to train to be an adjudicator.

How many times have bands suffered because they didn't play a piece the same way as that star player/adjudicator's band did 30 years ago?
    I think it is healthy when adjudicators appear from outside the brass band world - they bring no baggage with them.

21. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

I take your point and yes you are right but the best teachers are not always the best performers? All I was saying was that the adjudication should be as impeccable as possible so that was really the only thing that mattered not what sex they are:)

22. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

About roughly 20 years ago i played at a entertainments contest we had a woman adjudicator in the box Dorothy Squires all she had ever done was music festivals ;
    All because the organsiers did not want to pay out a large amount of money for a decent adjudicator so it turned out that it was a friend of a friend who did music festivals and did not want any money for doing the job.
    What a right mess of the results she made the winning band only won because one of the pieces they played Pines Of Rome was her favorite piece ;
    Have you ever heard such of a band been given 1st place because of that;
    The contest was never held again
    Thank God!!!!!!