Fear of Flying

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Aug 11, 2006.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I'm terrified of flying and we're off to Ibiza soon. Anyone got any great ideas on how I can stay calm enough not to upset LittleBabyBadger?! Usual method involves drinking enough to let the pink elephants fly alongside and hold the plane up, but getting drunk in charge of a minor is probably not an option this time.
    And this is NOT a good time to be flying what with the recent developments. I have no fingernails left.
    BMB
    xx

2. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I don't like flying either, but I think this is probably the safest time to do it. I did hear someone on the radio this morning giving advice about how to keep calm while flying. It included deep breathing, and sitting with your hands on your knee, palms upwards. Even the expert had no idea why that one works, but he reckons it does! Something to do with the fact it isn't a natural position to sit in, so you have to concentrate on keeping your hands in that position. Takes your mind off it I suppose. :confused:

3. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Sit away from the window and when the plane takes off tense all the muscles in your body, then you won't feel it as much. I flew a few weeks ago and my mum was holding my hand when we took off! Concentrate on making it exciting for LittleBabyBadger, play I spy games etc... take your mind off it. There is so much security at the moment that the likeliness of another attack is very very very low. And remember, America is the target this time as well.
    Have fun on holiday, don't let anything ruin it!
    xxx

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  4. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

Mr T in the A team hated flying - didn't they used to punch him to knock him out? you could get someone to knocked you out?? - but then again that's not a good idea either if you have LittleBabyBadger with you.

5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Try smuggling some lighter fluid on board in your hand luggage...when they ask you to taste it you ain't gonna care whether the plane's in the air or not.

6. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Excellent idea but BMB wouldn't enjoy holiday much! Take tranquillisers if allowed!

7. bigmamabadger

So a manic, rigid, wild-haired woman, reeking of lighter fluid and breathing like an asthmatic whale will not attract attention, you think?
    Apparently airport staff have been sacked on the spot just for being rude to security personnel. I'm going to get sent to the Tower of London...
    BMB
    xx

8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'm not convinced "I ain't geddin' on no plane, fool" is the most responsible parental attitude to take.:D

Maybe have a word with your GP and ask him if there are any tranquilisers that will "take the edge off" while still allowing you to be a responsible mummy? I'm sure there are homeopathic things you can take as well. The flight to Ibiza is pretty short so you wouldn't actually need to take any medication on board the flight, just a pill or something in the departure lounge.

Plus, remember this: There is no safer time to fly than now. Anybody with evil deeds in mind won't even be able to smuggle a sharpened emery board on a flight in the next few weeks. Just make sure everyone's got clean undies on...;)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  9. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

That is all very very very true. Especially the last paragraph. To be honest, everybody is now convinced that they are going to be blown up, but give it a few weeks and things will calm down. When are you going BMB?

10. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Try Rescue Remedy Spray. Obviously you won't be able to take it on the plane, but a few squirts at check in and then throw it away, should help. My sister swears by it for travel. I'm the opposite I love flying, especially in Helicopters.

Remember flying is safe, it's the crashing that's dangerous! :D

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    flight
    Manchester
    headwind
    Fear of Flying
    Diazepam
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Wavering away from topic (slap my wrists!), but isn't it a sad fact that when something awful happens, we are extra vigilant for a few weeks, then we all relax again? I don't do any school teaching anymore, but after the terrible events in Soham a couple of years back, every school was advised to be tighter on it's security. A couple of months later, nobody gave a monkey's.

Anybody with evil deeds in mind will keep their heads down for a year or so, then when we are least expecting it.....

I too was quite apprehensive about flying, until I got a job with a touring orchestra, meaning I was in and out of airports on a weekly basis. I think that the more you do it, the less of an 'event' it becomes, then it just becomes an inconveniance with over-priced sandwiches and parking.

13. I hate flying as well, always have done (even after 8 years in the RAF!). It's nothing to do with crashing - cars do that far more than planes. It's nothing to do with security either. It's just being cooped up in a metal tube with just air underneath me! I used to waste holidays worrying about the flight back home. My husband had a really bad flight in India a few years back so now neither of us do flying anymore.
    I suppose you could try one of those "fear of flying" courses - but I prefer to go by train!

14. RJM06

RJM06 Member

Don't be scared of flying, just go get it over and done with and face your fears. Though if your that scared you might look lke this when you get off the plane >>>:oops: . Only jokin but there is nothin 2 be scared of.

15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I know you've already booked this time, but for future reference in theory there would be nothing to stop you driving to Ibiza. Drive to Portsmouth, get the overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Santander, drive across north-east spain to Denia on the Costa Blanca and gat the ferry to Ibiza. Speaking as someone who has always loved driving, especially new places and especially abroad, I quite fancy it. I'm thinking of driving to Bulgaria next year, but that's another story..

16. vonny

vonny Member

I remember the first time I got on a plane to go to Greece, the weeks and days before I was terrified. The part that scared me the most was the process from checking in to getting on the plane - once I got on and sat down I was fine. I have never looked back and even travelled to Australlia 6 weeks ago :D

Yvonne x

17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Concentrate on making it a fun experience for LittleBabyBadger - you may do it so well that you'll convince yourself that flying is fun too! :)

18. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't say I have a fear of flying, but I am aware that its a long way down and its gonna hurt if you fell...;)

Seriously though I think the security is going to be pretty watertight for the forseeable future, and to be honest its flippin' good in this country anyway. Try not to worry about it, be confident that our excellent security services are on top of things and just go and enjoy your holiday.

19. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Flying doesn't really bother me normally, but most likely would if I was flying at the moment, glad we decided to stay in this country this year! You'll probably have enough to cope with having Baby Badger with you to be bothered about the flight, if my past experiences are anything to go by.:)

As for security in this country, we flew out to America t'other year and went through security checks a couple of times in this country and a couple of times in America, and it wasn't till the very last check that a small pair of scissors was found in my mothers hand luggage. What a sight seeing mother surrounded by hefty security men. We all had visions of her being carted off to Guantanamo Bay.:eek: Luckily, we were able to convince them that the 70 year old was not a terrorist:)

20. bigmamabadger

Went to doctor and explained the problem. I got Diazepam... It comes in special "pre-flight" doses; 2 tablets out and 2 tablets return. Obviously I'm not alone in my affliction.
    Um, is that good or bad? Dunno. But at least I won't give a stuff once I'm on the plane.:-?
    LittleBabyBadger won't notice, she'll just think I'm drunk.
    BMB
    xx

21. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

That makes it sound like an enjoyable experience for LittleBabyBadger... make sure that you're still a responsible mummy to her! ;)
    Enjoy the trip
    xxx

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    flight
    Manchester
    headwind
    Fear of Flying
    Diazepam